The Firmware Page

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:00 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ahkei98 wrote:
Before upgrading it from 1.51 to 1.21 my Pioneer DVR-112DBK works perfectly with all my old CD/CD-R/CD-RW now it can't even read most of the disc! Please help?! :cry:

Try unistall the ide channels in device manager and restart the pc, also check to see if the drive can read in safemode, if not you may need to downgrade back to 1.15

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Can't even boot up my Window XP Setup CD, stupid Pioneer! I thought Pioneer said you can't downgrade after upgrade. Help please

load the firmware 1.15 through MCSE and save it as the original name and try to downgrade

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:22 pm 
Firmware Patcher

You have to load the 1.15 flasher .exe file with MCSE, click the 'allow same to same flashing' checkbox, save the flasher and use this modified flasher to downgrade to 1.15.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ahkei98 wrote:
Before upgrading it from 1.51 to 1.21 my Pioneer DVR-112DBK works perfectly with all my old CD/CD-R/CD-RW now it can't even read most of the disc! Please help?! :cry:

"Upgrading" to a lower version... what is that???

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:43 pm 
Professional Poster

[_chef_] wrote:
ahkei98 wrote:

"Upgrading" to a lower version... what is that???

...there

Plex 712A / 716A / 755A / 760A
LiteOn 832S / 1693S / 165P6S / 165H6S / LH18A1H / LH20A1P
LG H12LN
Benq 1655
LG4040N / Pio K14L
Yamaha F1S / Plextor PREMIUM

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
...there

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:31 am 
Rookie

Hi,

i cant say much about 1.15, but 2 days ago i got my brand new dvr-112bk which was shipped with firmware 1.15.
since ive read a lot of good reviews about the 1.21 firmware i flashed the drive right away wih it.

however, now it seems i can burn dvd media without any problems, but the brand cd-r media i tried seem to produce coasters.
the media in question were both verbatim, white labeled with a manufacturer code by cmc magnetics, the othr inkject printable with manufacturer code Verbatim.

i must admit, i purchased the drive because all the reviews rated it a very good/excellent drive regarding the burn quality on all supported formats, and now i cant burn a single cd-r without nero (latest 7.9.6.0) aborting with a huge errorlog :(

any help would be greatly appreciated, since pioneer has still not answered my support request as of now...

cyas

ps. i just found another fujifilm printable cd-r as well as 4 different brands of cd-rw discs which im going to try now as well...

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:20 am 
Rookie

Hi,

as mentioned in a similar thread, i recently replaced my old burner with a new Pioneer DVR-112D BK after reading a lot of very positive reviews about it's very good write quality with all supported formats.

Firmware is the original 1.21 from the Pioneer Website...

However, when the drive arrived a first DVD-RW burn seemed ok, but the first CD-R i tried to burn produced the very first coaster i had in a VERY long time. Nero 7 (7.9.6.0) reported this in the errorlog:

Quote:
22:52:57 #121 SPTI -1135 File SCSIPassThrough.cpp, Line 179
CdRom4: SCSIStatus(x02) WinError(0) NeroError(-1135)
Sense Key: 0x03 (KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR)
Sense Code: 0x0C
Sense Qual: 0x00
CDB Data: 0x2A 00 00 01 E6 48 00 00 1A 00 00 00
Sense Area: 0x71 00 03 00 27 34 01 0E 00 00 00 00 0C
Buffer x065a5d40: Len xf8a0
0x00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 26 C1 63 61
0xFF 31 39 0F A7 A3 8F CB 51 7D 09 2E 2E B6 03 09
0xA3 D9 62 43 8B A9 66 EC 1B D3 BD 60 69 E1 F9 27

before this error, a lot of these entries show up in the log:

Quote:
22:51:36 #120 Text 0 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1352
22:51:36.937 - H: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D : Queue again later

although the number seems quite high (about 100 of these entries) i have no real clue if thats bad or not.

Anyway, [*Profanity*] happens, so i tried a new burn...SAME ERROR, at a different stage :(

The media used were both printable Verbatime CD-R, manufacturer code was Verbatim. I found a different disc, white labeled Verbatime with manufacturer code CMC Magnetics and tried that one -> same error.

Now, a day later i got hold of every single media i could find and came up with
1 Maxell CD-R (Ritek Co.)
1 Philips 74min CD-RW 4-10x (CMC Magnetics Corp)
1 Philips 80min CD-RW 4-12x (Verbatim)
1 Octron CD-RW (Unknown maker)
1 Verbatim ultraspeed CD-RW 16-24x (mitsubishi chemical).

all of them burned the cd error free at different speeds. maximum speed was obviously the CD-R at 32x.

after this success i tried the disc from yesterday again:

printable Verbatim 40x -> coaster right after lead in
labeled Verbatim 40x -> coaster shortly before lead out
printable Verbatim 32x -> coaster somewhere in the middle of the burning process

right now i am VERY disappointed by the drive.
eversince i got myself a canon pixma printer i only buy quality printable media - higher quality for my own use and slightly heaper (but still well-rated) media if its for others. Now im sitting on a full 100 disc cakebox of Verbatim printable CD-R which i cant use with the new drive.

Besides that, i have absolutely no trust in what the drive outputs and i surely wont verify+errorcheck every single disc i will ever burn, so unless someone has a good idea of whats happening or unless pioneer finally moves and answers my support-request with a proper suggestion i will most likely ditch the drive and get me something different.

Sadly enough, when browing the web today i have found several references to people which seem to have similar problems, with cheap and quality media. they can usually burn dvd's no probs, but they produce very bad CD-R - if they dont end up with coasters that is.

its great.. bank holiday on monday and this drive sort of ruined my whole weekend mood :(

cyas

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:58 am 
Administrator
Administrator

hi Maxx2206, this is a well known problem, even if pioneer will not admit to it, it seems a random about of drives have this problem.

If you where ok with 1.15, then downgrade back, MCSE will do this for you

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:04 am 
Rookie

hi,

thats bad news i guess.
as to the firmware, i actually never tried the stock 1.15, but if theres a chance to get better results i will surely consider it.

meanwhile, i have opened a more specific thread in this forum about further tests ivew done today and they lokk TERRIBLE to say the least.

one very interesting thing happened just now:
since i still got the old optiarc 7173 in a different pc i tried the first cd-rw (the ultraspeed one mentioned in the other thread) and burned the same image to it.
ive then compared the nero cd/dvd speed disk quality results and the nec showed 0 c2 errors and much less c1 errors while the pioneer showed tons of c1 errors and a lot of c2 errors as well.
the interesting part is: i ran the same test on the pioneer with the disk from the optiarc (which showed those 0 c2 errors) and the pioneer reports thousands of c2 already (average of over 90 at about half of the scan).

this really looks like serious hardware issues to me :(

anyway, the other thread should be the place for this since this thread was originally about refusal to red cd-rs while im reporting burn errors and quality issues...

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:18 am 
Administrator
Administrator

DVDRW drives are not the best for scans, please post in one section, crossposting is not allowed

Quote:
anyway, the other thread should be the place for this since this thread was originally about refusal to red cd-rs while im reporting burn errors and quality issues...

threads have been merged

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

So, how exactly is the 112 connected and in which UDMA mode?

Also, use cdburnerxp or deepburner, not Nero.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:44 pm 
Rookie

hi,

the 112d is set up as slave drive on the (only) nforce 570 sli chipset P-ATA port.
it runs in udma 4 mode.

it also directly replaced an optiarc 7173a drive which worked perfeclty in the exact setup. in fact, i have never had a new quality brand drive showing similar bad burn results (in terms of coasters) even under variable setups including different mainbaords/chipsets and quite a number of different drives.

i used to have this habit of trying to regularily replace drives every couple of months with new models that seem to be better in quality, but this time it seems i terribly failed with my trust in new hardware :(

regarding nero, i see no point in this advice, since the burn failure only occurs with this specific burner. the same nero version used on my other pc's with different burners (right now optiarc 7173a and nec 3520a). plus, if you goo*le you will find quite a number of people describing the very same problem with the same model.

anyway, i just sent off the 2nd mail to pioneer support (after the first one was returned with "sorry, we're not in charge of such topics", asking me to re-send the support request to a "quality complaint" department of pioneer belgium :( ) and i'm now awaiting their suggestions before taking any further steps.

the only thing i'm sure of is that im not going to have this drive replaced without a satisfying reason. most people reporting similar problems said they received replacement drives that worked. but thats not a way to sell quality brand products - selling obviously faulty products all with very similar/identical malfunctions and replace those that are being sent back to them on an individual basis. in that case i'll rather consider stepping back and getting another optiarc again - maybe even with SATA interface when the cpu load issues are being fixed.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Maxx2206 as i have posted many times, the problem lies with pioneer, you can test other softwares, to see if it helps, or just to verify matters, but its a hardware/firmware issue on pioneers side.

they certainly know of the issue, as many people have emailed

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:37 pm 
Rookie

Hi,

@astra:
m8, at this time i do believe you (as for its a drive issue) ;)

i just anwered a direct question/advice as you may notice, otherwise i wouldnt have replied at all at this time since i am still waiting for the tech support to reply to my support request.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:58 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Why is it set up as slave there? Is RAID disabled and extended ide too?

That options can easily produce the same issues.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:46 am 
Rookie

[_chef_] wrote:
Why is it set up as slave there? Is RAID disabled and extended ide too?

That options can easily produce the same issues.

its set up as slave cause master is a plextor px130a udma5 drive.
the drives do not run simultaneously since i dont do any work while burning nor do i copy on the fly. i use imagefiles (or dvd-folders) all the time.

raid on ide is disabled.

like your co moderator already made clear a few times: cd-r misbehaving is a known issue with the dvr-112 series of drives.

and like i tried to make clear a few times: the same kind of setup with different brand drives has work literally for years - bearing in mind i have changed drives a few times over time (e.g. the px130 replaced a benq1650, and before that various toshiba drives which sadly became worse with each generation after the 1712, and the dvr112d replaced an optiarc 7173a and before that a nec 3520a).

anyway, i am still waiting for an answer from pioneer tech support and meanwhile i have taken my old plextor premium out of the external casing and put it the computer, using a sata to ide adapter since the asus m2n-sli deluxe only offers 1 ide port. i'll stick to burning cd-r on the premium until the pioneer issues can be resolved and i will also try to avoid burning dvd media on the drive as much as possible until i am 100% sure dvd writing isnt bugged as well (not sure what kind of tests i should try to get there since doing disk quality runs on the same drive doesnt make sense and the px130a simply freezes my whole system when i try to do that test).

right now i kinda regret buying that drive since getting me another 7173a or maybe even 7173s most likely would have worked out of the box.
lets hope pioneer techsupport is able to help resolve the issue satisfyingly...

ps. just out of curiosity i have also tried to run the pioneer with said sata/ide adapter, but it produced the very same error on the verbatim media, so any ide-port related setup options are completely out of question i guess ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:18 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
i will also try to avoid burning dvd media on the drive as much as possible until i am 100% sure dvd writing isnt bugged

DVD Burning there is no problems, chef's post was correct, they can cause issues with burning, some find it better to have the pioneer as Master, better results, its basically what you find the best solution. but the cdr issue for me, is down to pioneer hardware/firmware issue

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I still have no 112/212 yet, but now its time. I'll check it out for myself to see what's behind all that reports.
First I'll grab a 212... wait, there were no 212 error reports yet, right?!?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

[_chef_] wrote:
I still have no 112/212 yet, but now its time. I'll check it out for myself to see what's behind all that reports.
First I'll grab a 212... wait, there were no 212 error reports yet, right?!?

none that i have seen, just with the 112, although i have had mine for months, and have no issues with cdr, strange

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:42 am 
Rookie

Hi,

its quite sad... pioneer.be apparently doesnt seem to answer as of yet...
which means im gonna get my to the shop i bought the drive from and report what has been done/whats known by know.

if its really only down to the 112 i will even consider gettig it replaced with a 212 myself since that will hopefully solve 2 problems at once, the cd-r issues as well as the lack of a 2nd ide interface on my mainboard.

the reason i didnt do this by default is that i've seen a lot of people/reviews complaining about a significantly higher cpu usage when using SATA drives in general.
Thats not just limited to the 212, but also to e.g. the 7173S and some of the recent LG SATA models.

lets see when i'll be able to get past these issues and enjoy the new drive...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
the reason i didnt do this by default is that i've seen a lot of people/reviews complaining about a significantly higher cpu usage when using SATA drives in general

depends on the system, and what you have going on, sata drives in theory should not use a significant about more of cpu, hard drives don't, and from the drives i have fitted LG, Liteon, Pioneer, there isn't

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Maxx2206 wrote:
the reason i didnt do this by default is that i've seen a lot of people/reviews complaining about a significantly higher cpu usage when using SATA drives in general.
Thats not just limited to the 212, but also to e.g. the 7173S and some of the recent LG SATA models.

lets see when i'll be able to get past these issues and enjoy the new drive...

Could be an issue but mainly because of the actual SATA (mobo) controllers & their drivers used.

BTW, the shop should exchange it as long as the drive already has warranty.

Do you have the manufacturing date of your drive maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:18 pm 
Rookie

hi,

sorry for the late reply.
sure, i could lookup the manufacturing time if wanted.
however, i havent asked for a replacement yet since i'm still talking to some tech support guy from pioneer belgium atm.

after a few rather useless requests for disc media info and logs they now asked kindly if i would be able/willing to sond a sample of the media in question.
i guess i'll send them one of each, but pointing out that im slowly getting pretty desperate and losing my trust in this specific product sind apparently similar drives like the 212D arent affected by these CD-R issues.
all reports seem to be limited to the 112/112D models, so i think im gonna point out that unless they can prove its not a general fault of the drive im gonna have it replaced by a 212D or by a different manufacturer (since the dealer i got it from currently has no 212D listed).

lets see the outcome.. all i know is its 3 weeks of trying to get a solution by techsupport and i still have to use a 3rd cd-rw drive in my computer just to be able to burn cds - despite the fact that i cant wait forever to call for an instant replacement drive (since many dealers only insta-replace when the devices are less than 4 weeks of age over here).

cyas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:06 pm 
Posting Wizard

@ Maxx2206,

It appears that Pioneer fully acknowledges that the DVR-112D has a CD Burning problem is actually attempting to get to the route cause of the DVR-112D CD Burning problem.

I am sure that other DVR-112D owners who are experiencing the DVR-112D CD Burning problems will greatly appreciate you efforts in working with Pioneer to identify the route cause of the problem so that Pioneer can correct the problem. You should be commended for your efforts in working with Pioneer to solve the problem.

Regards,
Coaster

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next