The Firmware Page

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:07 am 

Flashing the Pioneer DVR-A05 & DVR-105

Since a lot of people are having trouble flashing their Pioneer drives, it seemed handy to create a little FAQ.

Ofcourse this FAQ will probably not answer ALL your questions, but if it doesn't, just open a topic here.

Q:This hacked firmware stuff, what is that about?
A:Well, as you might have noticed, burning-speed to a DVD-r media is limited by the drive. Because of this, you can only write at higher speeds to certain media, if this media is certified by Pioneer. Because some media which aren't certified by Pioneer, allow faster burning then 1x (for example : in a different DVD-Recorder), we also should be able to burn them faster.

To accomplish this either Pioneer itself or some 3rd party should add MediaID's (read below) to the media-table in the firmware of the drive. Ofcourse Pioneer isn't doing this, so programmers here try to do this.

Q:So, a hacked firmware actually enables me to burn faster to slow media?
A:In short, YES.

Q:OK, that sounds pretty cool. Where can I get those nice firmwares ?
A:Right here ! :

WARNING : Usage of ALL firmwares is at your own risk, never come crying to us, complaining that your drive was killed.

Q:OK, I want to downgrade again to an original firmware after I used a hacked one, can I do this?
A:Yes you can, all you have to do is download an original firmware and upgrade your drive again using the '/F' option.

Q:Where can I get the original firmwares?
A:Well, you can get the original ones here, I also put some packages together which might help you down- or upgrade easier.
Q:How do I flash my drive then?
A:Flashing almost always just works through Windows, so lets first handle that:
    1) First decide which firmware you want to install, download that package to your computer.
    2) Once it is on your computer, you need to 'EXTRACT' the file to a folder on your harddrive, I created self-extracting files so you only need to run them and select a location to extract them to. A folder is then automaticly created for you, with the firmware files in it.
    3) Remove any disk in the DVD-R drive, this will might cause an error when trying to flash.
    4) In the packages mentioned above there is a file called UPGRADE.BAT. If you double click this, it will start the flashing procedure. If you have downloaded one of the original firmwares, you will need to execute the UPGDVD.EXE.
    5) It will ask you if you really want to flash your DVD drive.. You need to click 'Yes' to start flashing *sigh*.
    6) If it says it is done flashing, you're done.

Q:Damnit, flashing under Windows didn't work, some weird error or something?!
A:Ok, well there are some reports that flashing under Windows doesn't work, therefor you can also flash your drive under DOS.
    1) First you will need a bootdisk, you can make a bootdisk under Windows. If you don't know how this works, your an idiot ;) (and you shouldn't try flashing your firmware).
    2) Put the firmware files on your bootdisk or in a directory on your HD which will be reachable under DOS. (Do not put the files on a NTFS formated drive, because those drives can't be read under DOS).
    3) Boot your computer with the bootdisk.
    4) Go to the directory which contains the firmware files, if you have put them on the bootdisk also then you don't need to this.
    5) Execute UPGRADE.BAT (if you have downloaded the files from the locations mentioned above) or UPGDVD.EXE (if you downloaded them from the Pioneer site).
    6) After flashing, remove the bootdisk from your diskdrive and reboot your computer.

Note : I have seen some posts from people that had to reinstall their burning software to get a newly flashed drive to work. So if you still got any problems, try that first, before reverting back to the old FW.

Last edited by depl0y on Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:26 am, edited 14 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:43 pm 

Operating system boot disks can be obtained from here for free (no ads no popups):

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

shadz[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:23 am 

I've got a Problem burning bin/cue with Nero. It complains about Invalid field in parameter - one of the old Teac CDR's had the same problem and a firmware upgrade did the trick...

The question ist:

Since the Teac DV-W50E seems to be pretty much the same recorder as the Pioneer A05, will the Firmware also work for this drive ?

- suder -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:01 pm 

@ mr-suder:

don't use Nero for ur burnings....Stomp RecordNow is much better....and even Alcohol120% works fine for me :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:20 pm 

mr-suder wrote:
I've got a Problem burning bin/cue with Nero. It complains about Invalid field in parameter - one of the old Teac CDR's had the same problem and a firmware upgrade did the trick...

The question ist:

Since the Teac DV-W50E seems to be pretty much the same recorder as the Pioneer A05, will the Firmware also work for this drive ?

- suder -

I am hearing more and more problems with Nero, I actually used it a few times, one of those times it [*Profanity*] up a $6 DVD-RW, so I uninstalled it and installed Stomps RecordNow Max. Since then no more problems, only I can't seem to erase that DVD-RW anymore... Tried almost everything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:41 pm 

i never had a problem with nero :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:29 pm 

depl0y wrote:
I am hearing more and more problems with Nero, I actually used it a few times, one of those times it [*Profanity*] up a $6 DVD-RW, so I uninstalled it and installed Stomps RecordNow Max. Since then no more problems, only I can't seem to erase that DVD-RW anymore... Tried almost everything.

hi depl0y,
Nero is not the problem. It works just fine with my other cd-writer.
It's just the Teac dvd-writer that won't burn bin/cue's :( .

PS: Sometimes people have nero probs due to buggy updates
(5.5.10.15 works ok btw.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:36 pm 

NERO JUST UPDATED TO 551020

TRY IT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:38 pm 

Excellent work - most grateful. Can you advise me with one thing. The Sony DR-500 requires you to uninstall the Intel App Accelerator before flashing the firmware.

Is it sensible to do this for the A05 as well?

Many thanks.

John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:47 pm 

Sorry I don't know... I do not have that app installed.

Maybe someone who has this installed can answer this question.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:31 pm 
Posting Wizard

Intel Application Accelerator w. Pioneer DVR-105

Yes and no.

When I upgraded the original firmware from 1.0 to 1.21 in December last year I had to uninstall it.

When I upgraded just recently from 1.21 to 1.30 patched with UPGDVD it worked w/o uninstalling IAA.

My advice is: Just try and if it doesn't work, de-install IAA and then re-install after flashing the drive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:21 pm 

Thanks - I'll give it a go. Was worried that the IAA might impede the flashing process and harm the drive.

John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:40 pm 

I updated the FAQ with the release candidate of the 2x4all firmware. Usage is ofcourse at your own risk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:28 pm 

Newbie here. I did a quick search & couldn't find out what the '/F' option is. Could someone be so kind as to explain how to revert to an older firmware using the '/F' option. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:59 pm 

Quote:
In the packages mentioned above there is a file called UPGRADE.BAT. If you double click this, it will start the flashing procedure. If you have downloaded one of the original firmwares, you will need to execute the UPGDVD.EXE.

I just bought a Pioneer DVR-105 w/the 1.21 firmware. So, I'd use UPGRADE.BAT right? In the future, when a new firmware is available, do I need to use UPGDVD.EXE instead? A little confused here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:07 am 
Posting Wizard

Intel Application Accelerator

Well, guys - you seem to include different version of UPGDVD in these packages!?!?

To go from 1.30 +Ritek G03+RPC1 to 1.30 2x4 all I had to de-install IAA.
In a former post I mentioned that I had to do this for 1.00 to 1.21 in 12/03 for the original Pioneer fw.
A few days ago I flashed the 1.30 +RPC1 +Ritek G03 from >NIL:'s link and it worked with IAA installed????!!!!!

The >NIL: version or G3 +RPC1 said something about detecting the IAA. The depl0y 2x4 all didn't.

Anyway... same recommendation as before. Try it with IAA installed. If it doesn't work, de-install, flash new fw, re-install IAA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:38 am 

coopervid wrote:
Intel Application Accelerator

Well, guys - you seem to include different version of UPGDVD in these packages!?!?

To go from 1.30 +Ritek G03+RPC1 to 1.30 2x4 all I had to de-install IAA.
In a former post I mentioned that I had to do this for 1.00 to 1.21 in 12/03 for the original Pioneer fw.
A few days ago I flashed the 1.30 +RPC1 +Ritek G03 from >NIL:'s link and it worked with IAA installed????!!!!!

The >NIL: version or G3 +RPC1 said something about detecting the IAA. The depl0y 2x4 all didn't.

Anyway... same recommendation as before. Try it with IAA installed. If it doesn't work, de-install, flash new fw, re-install IAA.

Well probably because NIL only zipped the essential file to flash your drive (without any exe), while I just grabbed one of the firmware upgrades posted earlier in the FAQ... Replaced the files >NiL made and zipped it again.

If I can get the best version of UPGDVD.EXE then I will repack all upgrades and upload them again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:05 am 
Fresh meat

I asume /F means Fix?
In addition to bu-dvdr's question, i would like to know this as well.
I type /F after typing UPGRADE.BAT using a firmware from pioneer?
Like for example UPGRADE.BAT /F using 1.31?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:30 am 

Scooby_Doo wrote:
I asume /F means Fix?
In addition to bu-dvdr's question, i would like to know this as well.
I type /F after typing UPGRADE.BAT using a firmware from pioneer?
Like for example UPGRADE.BAT /F using 1.31?

F is for Force and when you use the upgrade.bat, you don't need to specify the /F parameter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:33 am 
Fresh meat

So i just can downgrade my firmware by flashing it to 1.30 i.e. without using any tricks?
What does that /F mean than?
I'm a bit confused now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:35 am 

When you try to downgrade, the firmware flashing software will tell you that your firmware is already up to date and that it cant be changed.

By FORCING it to flash the drive, it does flash your drive.

When you start the upgrade.bat, it executes the UPGDVD.exe with the /F parameter. So no need to specify it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:34 pm 
Fresh meat

So far no need to downgrade, it works like a charm....
:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:01 pm 

Can anyone advise if the above media will work as 2x on the A05 with the patched firmware?

Cheers folks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:42 pm 

I am burning 2X on some old gen1 bulkpaq's i had :D , so you should have no problems with gen 3's

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:28 am 

I updated the FAQ with version 1.30 - 2x4all RC 3

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next