The Firmware Page

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 390 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:59 am 
Fresh meat

http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

i have tested it, it works!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:25 pm 
Rookie

What machine did you use it on?

I myself on a Tibook 1ghz SD...have not tried it yet...

K h a r m s

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:44 pm 
Fresh meat

FOR UJ-815, no matter what machine you use.. if it is UJ-815, then it works!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:40 pm 

This [*Profanity*] really works people, i just flashed it myself!(Being annoyed by apple really tempted to flashing it) My CD im burning right now is burning at 16x !! 4 minutes for a full CD. I DONT KNOW about DVD-R or iDVD yet. BUT this is [*Profanity*] AWESOME. SWEET!! THANKS lscangus!!! You PHUCKING AWESOME DUDE!! Damn, now i need to get my DVD-RW back and see if that works!! :-D I'll try to get that tomorrow and give u guys an update! [*Profanity*] YES!! W00T! :-) (sorry everyone, im just a little too excited right now ;-) )

P.S. I have a 1ghz 15inch PowerBook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:53 pm 
Professional Poster

Confirmed. It works on a 12" Powerbook. Now all we need is RPC1 and this!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:08 pm 

It works on my 12" PowerBook SD for erase DVD-RW, and how about the DVD-Ram?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:24 pm 

can anyone confirm that it works with iDVD and iTunes?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:36 pm 
Professional Poster

Works here with iDVD and iTunes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:08 pm 
Fresh meat

Successful flash also confirmed on 15" Superdrive 1Ghz Tibook.

Can report x16 CD burning available on Toast 5.1.4, appears to be iDVD and iTunes compatible

No other media to test as yet, but will endeaveour to check and report back.

Looking forward to RCP1 !
Cheers
xsdp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:32 pm 
Fresh meat

works at it says:
DVD-R X2 :D
DVD-RW X1 :D
CD-R X16 :D

works with iTunes

and is reported has DVD-RAM with Toast...
:P
Tested with a powebook G4-12"

really great :D

thanks apple :wink: :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:55 pm 
Professional Poster

In all this excitement, including mine, I want to sound a word of caution.

I can't imagine that Apple disabled 2xDVD-R etc. on the 12' and 15" Powerbooks while leaving it enabled on the 17" Powerbook without a good reason. Likewise the DVD-RW and DVD-RAM capability.

Remembering that some Pioneer drives had problems with overheating and that Apple had to release a firmware update to cover this, I can only imagine that there might be a connection between the heat dissipation characteristics of the larger 17" PB and the 12" and 15" models. Testing here, on a 12" PB, subjectively does seem to make the machine run hotter. I can't confirm this, but it 'seems' to to so when burning at the higher speed.

As a precaution, I'd not recommend using the higher burn speeds if the heat dissipation of your 12" or 15" powerbook is in any way compromised. That's to say, make sure it's on a desktop/tabletop and that nothing is obstructing the vents.

Of course, my subjective view may be coloured by the fact that we've been experiencing the hottest weather in London ever recorded and using the burner in 100ºF+ conditions on a 12" 'Firebook' was already like sitting next to a heater before installing the firmware!

Last edited by desmond on Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:57 pm 
Fresh meat

Sooo happy.

quick test - no dvd-ram :-( Testing 2x DVD-R Burn time/reliability now. Will Let you know.

Gotta love the community.

ipp.

(currently sweltering in "the hottest place in the uk" (temp. wise only tho'))

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:19 am 
Professional Poster

That's awesome guys, thanks for testing it for me..

i'm going to put a link on my page, http://superdrive.cynikal.net/ to this forum as user testimonials..

i'm glad i could be of help to the mac community, thanks for the support (and your braveness) and enjoy!!!

On a more serious note, i think desmond has a very good point about the heat dissipation. I added to my firmware page about the possible reasons for why it was limited to 1x and one of them was heat. If your powerbook has gets hotter than usual, you shouldn't burn at the higher speeds. This is especially true in summer (now in northern hemisphere), as the ambient temperatures (if you aren't in an air conditioned room) are higher, and there is less cold air to cool your powerbook. If you're in a warm environment, i'd strongly recommend not burning at the higher speeds. Otherwise your powerbook may overheat.

This also applies if your system is already hot before you burn anything from high CPU/hard drive usage. I have a CPU meter in my dock to tell me if there's a run-away application that is slowing my computer down (and heating it up). I wouldn't burn at 2X unless i left my powerbook cool down after i kill -9 the rogue process.

Last edited by cynikal on Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:32 am 
Fresh meat

In my excitement, forgot to thank cynikal for his work. There are many of us on this forum who have been looking for a soultion like this since Dec 2002, and the bravery of cynikal to f**k around in a hex editor and flash his drive at great risk (and possible expense) to himself can't be commended highly enough.

I would also like to chime in with a heat warning - no burning 2xDVD on the bed people :-)

Just about to test TypeII DVD-RAM in OS9 (you never know...) I have a 15 inch TiBook by the way. Bought in Dec 2002, in the good ol' U of K.

ipp.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:32 am 
Fresh meat

Okay, here's my results thus far...

16x CDR Burning - OK
DVD-RW - Quick Erase - NG Full Erase Reported OK
2x DVD-R - Reported 2x - Actual burn speed 1x (Cheap media - Would this drive step down?)
DVD-RAM Type II (SS 4.7) NG

So, mixed. Anyone else have any more specific results?

ipp.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:04 am 

I have the TiBook SD 1Gig. Applied the update no problem, but the drive still spits out DVD-RAM media when inserted. Is there anything I can do to burn to DVD-RAM? Do I need special media?

Would be great if anybody has some advice.

Thanks,

Florian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:33 am 

I had a DVD-RAM type 2 disc around. Didn't work. All the other formats seem to work as stated above.
Cynikal, you ARE the man!! Thanks a million. :D

-superbaron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:21 am 
Master Poster

In case this means anything, I put together the info boxes the various updater MKE815DDCB files found in the updater packages:

I note that they are all the same name. Perhaps downgrades from D101 MKE815DDCB to D0CB MKE815DDCB may not be an issue, since some posters have said their "updates" of D0CB to previously D0CB-ified machines work fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:34 am 
Professional Poster

Thanks for the info Eug. The reason they're named the same is because the bundle is set to the name of the flasher binary. The firmware is actually embedded in it. And it is the same size through, the contents are of course different.

As for down-grading your firmware. I've had a number of people email me. I thought the dantz firmware, which is supported by apple, would allow this. But it turns out they used the same updater software that i modified. And when you try to run it after your drive has been upgraded, I get the error that says 'You do not need to use this software'.

I suspect it's because it detects a newer version of firmware. There may be a way to crack it, to make it by-pass the check, but right now I don't want to mess with this just yet.

And thanks for the praise everyone. You make it all worthwhile :) I'm glad I'm able to give back to the Mac community. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:41 am 

Might be a stupid question, pardon my ignorance. But would anything in the OS be affected by this update?

Specifically with the impending upgrade to Panther, might this upgrade crap out or break in some way? Is there even a chance?

Thanks y'all, can't wait to try the upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:08 am 
Fresh meat

I forgot to thank Cynikal for his firmware...
THANKS
:D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:31 am 

I have a 12" PB but I looked in my system profiler and it says I have the following:
Device Revision: D0CB
Product Identification: DVD-R UJ-815

Does anyone know if this will work on this superdrive?
If not, are there any other updates for this particular version of the superdrive?

Thanks
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:48 am 
Professional Poster

morriske, the firmware is contained entirely within the superdrive, once you flash it, your system can't tell a difference (other than the revision and its new found capabilities). It should be fine with Panther. I booted up the 7B28 build just fine, but Toast doesn't work (it didn't doesn't seem to work for anyone under panther, regardless of the drive/system).

amaly76, that firmware version is pre-flashing, and most people have that version when they flash. As you can read for yourself, it seems to work for them.

keskiveut, you're very welcome, glad i could help you guys share in my joy of burning faster (and more stably it seems)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:57 am 

Then cynikal, you are in fact da man...well done sir.

I'm off to do some firmware updating.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:11 am 

Silly question, but what is RCP1??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 390 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next