The Firmware Page

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 pm 
Master Poster

Could the creator(ala42) please update this app to work with the newest Pioneer DVR 219L model? I have the firmware version 1.01 and 1.02 exe but neither were recognized by the current version. They would not load at all to modify to RPC 1. Request anything of me to help you help us and I'll try my best to comply. Thanks

Here is the current change log for version 1.2.0.10. Note the last added Pioneer in red. I'm hoping for an RPC1 modifying update on the 2 firmware I've listed above or if you have some other firmware that's better or newer or that can be cross flashed please advise. I also can supply the 2 firmware listed above if requested

Changelog

1.2.0.10 03 Oct 2011
- added support for BH12NS35/BH12LS35 1.01
- added support for BH12NS38/BH12LS38 1.00
- added support for GH24NS70 GN01-06
- added support for HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU40
- added support for HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU40

- added support for ATAPI iHAS622 A
- added support for ATAPI iHAS624 A
- added support for ATAPI iHAS124 B
- added support for ATAPI iHAS224 B
- added support for ATAPI iHAS424 B
- added support for ATAPI iHAS524 B
- added support for ATAPI iHAS624 B

- added support for PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-S17J 1.10
- added support for PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D 9.06 (Primera)
- added support for PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-215D 9.13 (Primera)
- added support for PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D 9.08 (Primera)

- added support for Optiarc DVD RW AD-7280S 1.01
- added support for Optiarc DVD RW AD-5260S 1.Z5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:11 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The 219 and even the 219L has nothing to do with the Pioneer drives up to 217!

118, 218, 119 and 219 drives are QSI clones!

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:06 am 
Master Poster

Thanks for that info from someone who knows the facts. Can you advise what I should do next? Is this more bad news for a RPC1 flasher for these 2 QSI drives I seem to have instead of real Pioneers?

I could only find this info on another site

I would avoid Pioneer DVDRW drives (because they are QSI clones rather than true Pioneers), LG drives or (even worse) Samsung drives.

This says

MCSE 1.2.0.9 27 Dec 2010
- added support for PIONEER DVR-219L 1.01 (QSI DDW-242S clone)

I have 1.2.0.10 and it wouldn't recognize the PIONEER-DVR-219L 1.01 firmware I tried to load into it

This page: http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/
It says it is a supported drive if you scan down the list mine is there. I'm puzzled really I am.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Can you post the info from DVRFlash, Neroinfotool, discinfo and the errormessage here?

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:01 pm 
Master Poster

Ok I have to insert the 2 Pioneers into my Mac Pro this coming week. I was attempting to flash the upgrade firmware first with MCSE in Virtual XP Pro Corp SP2. Using Parallels there was no error message at all. I opened MCSE and with either the 1.01 or 1.02 exe firmware for this drive I attempted to load it to check that RPC1 box and alter the firmware first getting ready for the insertion on Thursday and then flash them both to RPC1. Nothing appeared in the MCSE window. I waited but no error messages at all.

As you can see in my other thread the new computer came with this ( Model: HL-DT-STDVD-RW GH61N ) superdrive and as I mentioned in the other thread I was seeing if I could flash that drive first, but I'm getting the feeling that may be a lost cause.

Next Thursday I'll be able to stop work on this machine as I have a due date project I can't stop right now. At that time I'll install both Pioneers and get all the info I can for you and post it here. I really had no idea as I said it has been years and I've been a loyal Pioneer user and flasher since version 103-116. This new QSI clone thing is all new to me chef so please treat me as a noob. I'm sorry I'm not so skilled anymore and Pioneers really have changed. I'll do my best in 5 days to get the info you want posted. Bear with me please, I'm researching and reading threads on many sites not just asking questions without trying, really.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:09 pm 
Posting Wizard

fahrenheit wrote:
This says

MCSE 1.2.0.9 27 Dec 2010
- added support for PIONEER DVR-219L 1.01 (QSI DDW-242S clone)

I have 1.2.0.10 and it wouldn't recognize the PIONEER-DVR-219L 1.01 firmware I tried to load into it

This page: http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/
It says it is a supported drive if you scan down the list mine is there. I'm puzzled really I am.

There are actually 3 firmwares out for this drive. There is an older 1.01 firmware (released in 2010) which MCSE supports, there's an OEM 1.02 firmware (released around March 2011 if I remember correctly by Primera) which is not supported by MCSE yet and then there's the latest firmware release (from November 2011) which confusingly enough is also named 1.01 but it is newer than both of the previous ones, and this one is not supported yet by MCSE either.

If you're desperate for a RPC1 firmware then use the older 1.01 firmware until ala42 adds MCSE support for the newer firmwares...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

You don't need to apologize. ;)
Just take your time and post back what you can when you can.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:28 pm 
Master Poster

cvs wrote:
If you're desperate for a RPC1 firmware then use the older 1.01 firmware until ala42 adds MCSE support for the newer firmwares...

cvs thanks I found it : http://www.pioneer-optical.eu/Downloud_ ... 101020.zip

and it loaded and speedpatched. Now to figure out how to patch my drive in the terminal as I'm really rusty after 2 years.

Could I ask 1 more question of either of you. I saved this info from the past from flashing my Pioneer 116D. Now I wonder is this info still correct to use on the new drive?
And of course I have to change the drive name and firmware name in the command line

simplest method

1. open terminal copy/paste: drutil info , hit return ( take screenshot )
2. drag out the whole DVRFlash folder to the desktop with patched firmware inside.
3. click the FlashIt command also in the DVRFlash folder.
4. follow in terminal to click ( y ) each time it asks, then wait. never stop it until done.
5. restart.
6. open terminal copy/paste: drutil info , hit return ( take screenshot )
7. confirm change from #1

to flash in terminal copy/paste this:

cd Desktop/DVRFlash

Commandline:
./DVRFlash -f PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-116D A0815001_speedpatched.109

Of course above I will have to change the name to the new drive once I insert them and then add this patched firmware name just like the pattern above
( PIONEER-DVR-219L 1.01(101007)_speedpatched.EXE ),

Is this the best and correct method listed above? I think I'll do one drive at a time thus not needing to add drive A or drive B to the command line because I've never had 2 drives in a machine before. I am unfamiliar with this command line( A:Pioneer ) seems to be correct but I don't want to take any chances scr*wing up my new drives

If I'm posting incorrect terminal commands for this new intel machine or questionable terminology might you guys correct me so I don't make any stupid costly errors.

Have a nice day and truly I do appreciate yours and chef's help.

Last edited by fahrenheit on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

At least the commandline looks good to me. Remember, never use -vf as option. ;)

As for the other steps, I have to less knowledge with Macs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 pm 
Master Poster

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll post my detailed results on Thursday so others can benefit if successful.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:53 pm 
Posting Wizard

fahrenheit wrote:
Now to figure out how to patch my drive in the terminal as I'm really rusty after 2 years.

Simply put you can't, because DVRFlash only works with true Pioneer drives. It doesn't support QSI clones such as the DVR-118/218 and DVR-219 drives.

What you need to do is to simply run the PIONEER-DVR-219L 1.01(101007)_speedpatched.EXE file MCSE gives you. I guess you'll have to do that on a Windows machine since that file is a Windows executable file...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Ouch, yeah, almost forgot that. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:03 am 
Master Poster

Sh*t I'm glad I checked back. Can the flashed 1.01 exe firmware be run using Parallels using XP Pro in a virtual machine? And if so I have almost zero experience on Windows can you stepwise tell me what I would have to do? Isn't there some type of limitation that my drive would have to be externally USB connected for the virtual XP to recognize it? Assume the flashed firmware is sitting on the desktop of the virtual XP the same place I flashed it using MCSE.

Check these screenshots. The HT-DT-ST drive seems recognized though and connected so maybe I can flash directly when I insert the Pioneers? What do you both think? And if that is maybe possible would I just double click on that patched firmware and let it proceed, correct?

Live and learn seems to be the phrase for the day in this situation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:14 am 
Posting Wizard

I don't know if flashing the drive under a virtual machine in MacOS works or not ... I'm not familiar with Parallels and its limitations ... but when it comes to the Windows side, you just have to double click on the speedpatched.exe file to run it and then click the appropriate button to start flashing your drive ... it is a GUI program not a command line one, so flashing your drive with it is a very simple thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:54 am 
Master Poster

Ok thanks I'll try first with Parallels and it that fails try to find someone with a Windows box not a laptop. Now that will be harder than finding this firmware for a Mac user. I'll post my results in any case so others benefit from my tests.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, its always a gamble with emulations. You really can only try to be certain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

fahrenheit wrote:
Ok thanks I'll try first with Parallels and it that fails try to find someone with a Windows box not a laptop. Now that will be harder than finding this firmware for a Mac user. I'll post my results in any case so others benefit from my tests.
unless something changed, it may not give you full access to the drive. Bootcamp however does. Wine also if I remember.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:39 pm 
Master Poster

I was able to test earlier than anticipated. Some bad news though nothing I tried works. Tried Wine and Parallels with XP Pro and got this resulting screenshot info. Both methods said the same thing

Vendor Product Rev
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-219L 1.02

Interconnect: ATAPI
SupportLevel: Unsupported
Profile Path: None
Cache: 2000k
CD-Write: -R, -RW, BUFE, CDText, Test, IndexPts, ISRC
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW, BUFE, Test
Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

My 2 same drives are now inserted in the Mac Pro. I tried flashing with just one drive to be safe. Not sure this would even work on a Windows box and the screenshot will point that out. I tried many different ways and still the same screenshot results. If devilsclaw can teach me the terminal commands to use I can dump the firmware for him to look at.

I think I can see where the issue that makes it fail arises

My drive has v1.02 firmware from the factory so something must have changed so the QSI clone MCSE supported 1.01 firmware capable of being changed to RPC1 isn't being recognized as compatible firmware. Does that sound logical? I suppose I'll need to wait until the newest v1.02 firmware is supported in an updated version of MCSE.

I'm open for suggestions if any of you experts have any. Is there any cross flashing possibilities for this 219L drive that can get me to regionfree?
The drives are working, burning, erasing and ejecting discs as they should.

Last edited by fahrenheit on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:44 am 
Administrator
Administrator

What does DVRFlash report for your Pioneer drive with option -v ?
It will abort, but sould show important info.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:59 am 
Master Poster

chef, do you mean like this?

Commandline:
/Users/xxxxx/Desktop/DVRFlash/dvrflash -v A:PIONEER

Drive Information:
Description : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-219L
Firmware Rev : 1.02

This drive does not appear to be a Pioneer DVR drive - Aborting.
_______

( drutil info ) lists both drives like this

Vendor Product Rev

Vendor Product Rev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yup, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
My drive has v1.02 firmware from the factory so something must have changed so the QSI clone MCSE supported 1.01 firmware capable of being changed to RPC1 isn't being recognized as compatible firmware. Does that sound logical? I suppose I'll need to wait until the newest v1.02 firmware is supported in an updated version of MCSE

maybe its blocking the downgrade attempt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:10 pm 
Master Poster

I think Puma I will have to wait until ala42 supports the v1.02 firmware in an updated MCSE to test this method again. But in the meantime does anyone with skills and knowledge have any idea is there is a cross flashing option I could try to get me to RPC1? I spent an hour looking on this site and web searching many keywords and I didn't find a thing myself.

I'm feeling more confident now after not having done any flashing for 2-3 years. Having this new intel Mac Pro allows me to do Mac and Windows procedures right here without having to locate a Windows box somewhere else which is cool and simpler. You guys have been very helpful with advice and commandline info. I hope there will be or is something else I can do to get to RPC1. This QSI clone stuff is all new and it is too bad as well for Pioneers were to me the very best drives. Now holding an old 116D in 1 hand and this new 219L in the other you can feel how the quality has diminished and then the clone thing too. It's a real shame I had no info on this before I bought both.

If you could buy any new drive right now what brand and model would that be which is simple and easy to flash to RPC1? I'd really like your expert input .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 am 
Administrator
Administrator

For me the 116/216 is still the best dvd burner (especially from Pioneer) even the 117/217 was the last true Pioneer DVD burner.
Nowadays the focus is more on the Blu-Ray drives/burners and again the Pioneer drives are top notch: BDR 20x up to BDR 207/XD04.
Recently I have seen some DVR-115/215 but 117/217 drives are harder to find... in case you search a good dvd burner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:32 am 
Posting Wizard

fahrenheit wrote:
I think Puma I will have to wait until ala42 supports the v1.02 firmware in an updated MCSE to test this method again. But in the meantime does anyone with skills and knowledge have any idea is there is a cross flashing option I could try to get me to RPC1? I spent an hour looking on this site and web searching many keywords and I didn't find a thing myself.

I'm feeling more confident now after not having done any flashing for 2-3 years. Having this new intel Mac Pro allows me to do Mac and Windows procedures right here without having to locate a Windows box somewhere else which is cool and simpler. You guys have been very helpful with advice and commandline info. I hope there will be or is something else I can do to get to RPC1. This QSI clone stuff is all new and it is too bad as well for Pioneers were to me the very best drives. Now holding an old 116D in 1 hand and this new 219L in the other you can feel how the quality has diminished and then the clone thing too. It's a real shame I had no info on this before I bought both.

If you could buy any new drive right now what brand and model would that be which is simple and easy to flash to RPC1? I'd really like your expert input .

As Puma said it might be that the flasher is blocking a downgrade based on the internal date of the firmware. The original 1.01 firmware is dated 101007 while the 1.02 firmware is dated 101210 ... We know that the flasher is not blocking a downgrade based on the firmware revision number since a 1.02 drive was successfully flashed to the latest 1.01 firmware, which is dated 2011/09/01 so that might explain why flashing the latest 1.01 over the 1.02 firmware worked (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48024).

Unfortunately there's nothing to crossflash this drive to...

If you're after a new DVD-RW drive I would recommend a Sony Optiarc AD-724x/726x or the latest AD-728x ... they are amongst the cheapest drives you can buy and very good too ... and the support for them (dumping, flashing and patched firmware) is excellent thanks to Liggy.

Alternatively you could get a LiteOn iHAS x24 A (if you could still find one) or iHASx24 B drive. LiteOn DVD-RW drives can be made RPC1 by a click of the mouse using C0deKing's EEPROM Utility. Other patching options are not in the cards for the time being, since C0deKing seems to have retired ... LiteOn drives will also allow you to do quality scans (which other drives cannot do with any decent reliability), but if you're not interested in this, I would go for a Sony Optiarc ... in my opinion they are more reliable burners than the LiteOns (but cannot do reliable quality scans) ...

Given that the prices have come down quite a bit, you might want to consider a BluRay drive as Chef said, but if you mainly want to burn DVDs rather than shifting to and mainly burning BluRay discs (which are still quite expensive), I guess it is better to stick with a dedicated DVD-RW drive - you generally tend to get better burn quality, since BluRay drives are more optimised towards burning BluRay rather than having top notch DVD write strategies ... it is always better to have a look at some reviews though.

Pioneer BDR-20x drives are very good, and also the LG BH10/BH12 family is pretty good and cheap. Another choice is the LiteON iHBSx12 (again you can use it for quality scans, unlike the other ones I suggested). Be warned though that patching is very limited for BluRay drives. If you want a patchable drive which you can patch right now, you'll have to stick with the 10x/12x BH/WH LG ones (all of them can be patched now)...

Last edited by cvs on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.