The Firmware Page

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:07 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:24 pm 

I've done it, and it does not detect anything either :( (the other PC is using WIN XP SP 1).

It seems everytime I connect the USB to any PC, the "red" processing button from the external box is not ON; previously everytime I plug-in the external box to my PC there will be some "processing" going on with the box and after that Win detects it

[_chef_] wrote:
I would try it on another computer then.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:50 pm 
Rookie

Quote:
I've done it, and it does not detect anything either (the other PC is using WIN XP SP 1).

I'm afraid that you cannot do anything now - if the device is not detected by windows in any way, there is no way the flasher can access the device and instruct it to reflash the firmware - I think the only way is it to get it replaced (unless you know how to flash the chip using some type of serial JTAG style connector on it or similar direct way).

I have bought 3 PL3507 based boxes and have used 2 of them. They all had version "2004.10.06.174" on them as ROMwriter 2.3 reported. In one I had an 80GB Maxtor drive and I always used it via a USB 2.0 connection and never encountered problems (say in 2 weeks use). In the other I installed a 200GB Maxtor drive and used this via Firewire on the same machine (XP2200+ with XPSP2) and after copying some 100GBs of data, the disk was partially then totally unreadable with the usual $mft errors in just the time to copy the files over. So now I flashed the 2 boxes with the latest firmware (FWd112805B) and am running some tests with the 200GB box via firewire again. I am filling the disk up with large files (5 to 50GB files) until I fill it up to see if it crashes again.

Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:12 am 

Yup, finger crossed for your hard drive :)

It seems fireware connection is not suitable for Windows O/S... I was thinking it's quite useless for me to buy external enclosure with 2 port (USB & Firewire) but then who knows I need to copy some files from my friend which has MAC and require Firewire port....

Just my two cents...
IceDewd wrote:
Quote:
I've done it, and it does not detect anything either (the other PC is using WIN XP SP 1).

I'm afraid that you cannot do anything now - if the device is not detected by windows in any way, there is no way the flasher can access the device and instruct it to reflash the firmware - I think the only way is it to get it replaced (unless you know how to flash the chip using some type of serial JTAG style connector on it or similar direct way).

I have bought 3 PL3507 based boxes and have used 2 of them. They all had version "2004.10.06.174" on them as ROMwriter 2.3 reported. In one I had an 80GB Maxtor drive and I always used it via a USB 2.0 connection and never encountered problems (say in 2 weeks use). In the other I installed a 200GB Maxtor drive and used this via Firewire on the same machine (XP2200+ with XPSP2) and after copying some 100GBs of data, the disk was partially then totally unreadable with the usual $mft errors in just the time to copy the files over. So now I flashed the 2 boxes with the latest firmware (FWd112805B) and am running some tests with the 200GB box via firewire again. I am filling the disk up with large files (5 to 50GB files) until I fill it up to see if it crashes again.

Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:51 am 
Rookie

Well I just wanted to say that I have filled up my 200GB HD and it hasn't crashed yet via Firewire after the last update. I haven't left it on all night though like I did the last time when it crashed because I didn't want to overheat the box too much by leaving it on all the time (even if when it's not copying anything and just sitting there it doesn't heat up that much).

I will run some other tests such as the delayed write test to see what happens (if I have the courage!). I think I'll try deleting some data and copying some more data in the mean time and stress it some more...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:48 am 

Hi all. I have two enclosures. Here's my story:
I got a metal gear box 3.5" which has the 3507 chipset. USB performance is awful. The drive in question is a seagate 200gb 7200.7 that worked beautifully when I had a desktop. I have too many usb devices though so that's kind of the reason I'd imagine. And investing in another usb host via pcmcia is not an option that I'd consider since that's not really a proper solution to this problem. I originally had a desktop with a different firewire host that had zero problems with the 3507 and performance was great! I was pretty much running as fast as firewire drives were able to perform with speeds around 35mbps iirc. But then I got a newer laptop and eventually phased out my desktop. The laptop, a dell, has a firewire host that doesn't like to work well with the prolific. Delayed write errors etc. So I looked into the matter and found the firmware updates but I had a revision A chip that couldn't be flashed. I RMA'ed with newegg but got another revA. So I sent it straight to ppa, the manufacturer of the box and got a revC. I upped the firmware to the latest as of this writing and firewire was pretty decent. In the meanwhile, I had an oxford 911 chipset with firewire that was beyond flawless and speeds that were as good as I could be asking for. but the thing was that it was a 5.25" enclosure and didn't have any mounts for a 3.5" and it rattled as it sat on the tray. So I pulled the pcb out and just ghettorigged it. But I'm on the move a lot and that was too delicate to keep doing. So I put the revC to work. The new firmware seemed to work well for a while. even the test program ran successfully with no issues >128k. But under intensive uses, it still died, and I have too much data to risk a failure. I do have some backups but it'd be an unnecessary pita if I were to experience data corruption. I'm only planning on ever using hdd's in the enclosure since well, it's a 3.5" enclosure. Does anyone have the .204 firmware that is supposed to work with firewire without flaw? I'm not going to try the one released in september since I hear reports that the delayed write fail problem is back in that one.

Thanks! I'm getting so tired of my usb and it's 19mbps max and random freezes and breaks while it catches its breath.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:28 am 

Sure glad I found this site I have an external case that has the PL-3507 chip in it. I am running XP and before I upgraded to SP2 the unit would connect on both 1394 and USB. I have upgraded to SP2 and now it will only connect on the USB I have read on here that it may need a hot fix from MS so I found a hotfix at MS with a new Ohci1394.sys file and it has a newer date on it but the unit still will not be detected on the 1394 when I connect it. My device manager shows the OHCI IEEE 1394 host controller and it shows ok but the unit will is not being detected. I have another unit also with the chip and it is not seen either. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution yet? If so can you tell me if its a driver or something else. The unit works fine on the USB but I had better luck with it on the 1394. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:53 am 

Shuttle wrote:
Sure glad I found this site I have an external case that has the PL-3507 chip in it. I am running XP and before I upgraded to SP2 the unit would connect on both 1394 and USB. I have upgraded to SP2 and now it will only connect on the USB I have read on here that it may need a hot fix from MS so I found a hotfix at MS with a new Ohci1394.sys file and it has a newer date on it but the unit still will not be detected on the 1394 when I connect it. My device manager shows the OHCI IEEE 1394 host controller and it shows ok but the unit will is not being detected. I have another unit also with the chip and it is not seen either. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution yet? If so can you tell me if its a driver or something else. The unit works fine on the USB but I had better luck with it on the 1394. Thanks
that's kind of weird. mine has always connected on 1394, just would give delayed write errors and die. seems like your actual hardware of the enclosure might be messed up

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:07 am 

Well both enclosures worked on the 1394 until I updated to SP@ and now it won't detect them? I just update the firmware on the enclosure to the latest via the USB but still nothing. Its most likely SP2 well I thought if I asked maybe someone else has had a similar problem.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:22 am 

ziddey wrote:
Shuttle wrote:
that's kind of weird. mine has always connected on 1394, just would give delayed write errors and die. seems like your actual hardware of the enclosure might be messed up

I has simillar problems with my Toshiba laptop hich had XP Home sp2 pre-installed. My bridges based on Genesys , Initio and Prolific all had recognition problems, looking for nonexistant drivers. Tried 2 different Cardbus host adapters (one TI, the other Via based). Did a clean install with XP Pro sp2 and the firewire devices all were recognized without incident. I don't know if some drivers are omited from Home but included in Pro (by MS?) or deleted by Toshiba during the preinstall configuration. Performance still kinda sucks (near as I can tell it's due to the ATI x200m chipset which is documented as having feeble southbridge performance), but at least it all works more reliably than USB-2.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:41 pm 
Rookie

Just wanted to update the thread on some tests I ran which can be read here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=182327#182327

Luke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:39 pm 

msg deleted. :lol: ...issue solved.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:07 am 

I have a Sumvision combo 1394 Firewire USB2 external box that I tried to use with 200 Gb Maxtor drive as a single partition. I repeatedly had errors after a day or so and tried flashing the latest firmware PL3507-042006B.hex but the problems persisted. I have now re-formatted the drive but used two equal partitions. Since doing this, I have not had a problem with HD corruption for 48 hours but will report back in a few days.

It seems that the 3507 is not alone in such problems as whilst doing a Google I also found that Mac users have a problem with some versions of the Oxford chips and firmware.

As it would seem that the 3507 cannot handle large partitions I will probably buy a Maxtor OneTouch III, with RAID-0/1 - The only annoyance is that my Asus motherboard does not have a 1394b Firewire port and my PCI slots are already full.

I will report back in a few days as to whether the 3507 still corrupts the partitions or not.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:16 pm 

Just purchased a 5.25 enclosure from MWave.com which was advertised as Oxford 911/Cypress Chipset and ended up being this POS. I went ahead and and flashed it up to the 4/20/2006 firmware and am testing it out on my PB G4. There doesn't seem to be many posts here regarding reliability on this newer firmware with Macs, so I was curious if anyone could give me an update. I opened a case w/ MWave to try to get this drive replaced with the Oxford 911 that it was supposed to be, but if they don't have anymore, I am just curious if this chipset with the new firmware is good enough to keep. I don't want to risk headaches and data loss :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:52 am 

Hi to all !

...and then it's me too, stuck here with a crappy "unknown" PL3507-C prolific powered metal box... :( After seeing too much media failed in my brand new Benq 1655LS... read errors, write errors, drive stuck...

I just read *all* 11 pages... BUT... actually the prolific web site appears to be not online http://www.prolific.com.tw it gives me timeout. How is for you? i was looking for some firmware that works, mine actually is 174, quite old...

It's 2:40 AM, and now, would you install a 185 version or the latest 2006 version (i was reading in the 10th page?)?

Some good guys can link a flasher+firmware (i found 2.2 RS32 flasher only) somewhere in the web IF the prolific web site is down (maybe it's my connection, DNS maybe...), i tryed googling but no luck (i don't ask to send me by email, i think it's too lame... would be better a new mirror posted in the forum, so everybody can use it).

Update: i tryed accessing prolific web site either via google translation and via an anonym proxy (i know i can reach those 2 server, maybe they can reach prolific for me) but again it doesen't work :( seems prolif is not up&running... :?: :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:19 am 
Rookie

I can access the Prolific site okay here from Australia.

You will need at least the 28/11/05 update to use with the BenQ 1640/165x drives. This update is no longer downloadable from prolific.

The latest update (20/04/06) still works fine with the BenQ 1640/165x drives.

The update (with flasher) is only 108KB so I'm happy to email it to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:39 am 

Hi !

thank you for your offer !

I tryed accessing prolific web site just 2 minutes ago and it worked !

So i got flasher and firmware :) (last night however prolific website i think was really down :? ).

> You will need at least the 28/11/05 update to use with the BenQ 1640/165x drives.

wow nice to know... where it was written? readme inside zip firmware file ?

> This update is no longer downloadable from prolific.

wondering why... they still have ones from 2004....

My problems with Benq 1655 where most about not reading media, it get extremely difficult even to read it's own burned CD. I swapped it to sec.IDE and now it's working simply perfect ! it's 2-3 times faster than before on USB box... i don't know if i'll swap again back :?:

I got the USB enclosure because i needed 3 drives: DVD burner (burn and read DVD), CD burner (only for CD burning) and CDROM reader (cheap, expendable, i use to read everyday so i won't stress the burners only to read CDs). Actually the reader is in the box, the others are inside on the sec.IDE.. uhm...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:14 pm 

Hi guys,

I have a Envision external USB/FW enclosure with Maxtor 300gb IDE HD.

It has always worked ok until this week when Windows XP stopped recognising the drive but still detects the USB device.

When I plug it in I get the 'dong' and it brings up the device plugged in message.

However, where it used to state it has found 'Maxtor 6YL300RO' and a removable HD would appear, it comes up as gibberish font - eg '&$%r56 6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:34 am 

In the Firmware description i can read:
04/22/2004 -
1. Support SCSI pass through function in both ATA and ATAPI. [1394]

How can i send any ATA command to my HDD in the external enclosure?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:06 pm 
Fresh meat

I have a Plextor DVD Recorder PX-740a and this drive only reads DVD's with DVD Decryptor 3.5.4.0 at 0.3x speed using the external PL3507 USB2/Firewire Enclosure. While on the MB IDE bus it starts at 6x up to 12x and back down to 6x thru the entire decrypt of a DVD. Watching or Burning CDs and DVDs has not been a problem.

I read and saved the origional firmware, but it would not provide any information to me about the firmware.

I got the ROMWriter 2.3RS64 and upgraded to the Firmware PL3507-042006B which is 4,2006 dated, ver 2006.04.20.149 with checksum 4D6F.

Now the drive decrypts DVDs at full spead. The only issue I still have are some of the drives parameters using Plextool Pro LE v3.13 on the Drive Settings Advanced page are greyed out to me. i.e. Autostrategy Options, PoweRec, DMA, Single Session, Hide CD-R Media, SpeedRead CD/DVD, Change Book Type for DVD+R/DVD+R DL. Luckily DVD Decryptor has the Speedread Plextor built into it as an option, and booktypes also are taken care of in DVD Decryptor as well.

I do have the superior PX-716 DVD Burner on my motherboard and all the options are made available to it, the same as when the PX-740a is on the motherboard connection.

I hope this is useful to anyone. It seems in 2007 the PL-3507 is still being used in drive enclosures. This firware works well with Windows Vista 32 bit (I don't have a 64 bit machine to test).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:42 pm 
Fresh meat

PL-3507 : http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/Products.asp?ID=9

Firmware and Loader Downloads: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=44

Drive Compatibility: http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IDE%20Storage/PL-3507/Doc/Test%20Report/an_PL-3507%20Device%20Compatibility%20List_v1.0F.pdf

There is an identification number benlow the PL3507 number.

The ending Character will be an A or B or C or D, this refers to the version chip it is.

The A chips do not support icp firmware upgrades.
Try to read you firmware with the older firmware tool first, if it fails, then try reading it with the new firmware tool. Which ever firmware tool reads and allows you to save a copy of your origional firmware (please save a copy for your reversion if needed) on your enclosure use the firmware associated with that tool.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:07 pm 

Hi all,

as you can guess, I face the usual prolific problem with a cheap "ultra" box from Tigerdirect having a 80Gig Maxtor 3.5'' drive in it.

The HD is connected by USB to the PC. I tried to flash the ROM to the newest version but somehow it failed. Here's the story:

1) I ran the software ROMWriter2.3RS64 (latest version) found on Prolific website (see the post before to get the link).
2) I hooked the HD which was recognized by the system
3) I used the ReadROM function and got:

Code Size:
Rom Size: 32(kb)
FW ver.2005.09.06.119
Vendor ID: 0XFF
Chip ID: 0XFF
Checksum: 8000

4) I load the .hex file (PL3507-042006B.hex) and I can read:
Code Size: 32499 (b)
Checksum: 4D6F

5) I press Update and get: Can't access the chip. (be rejected!).

Can you tell me what's going on? I thought that if I could read the ROM using ROMWriter, it meant the ROM could be flashed... Also could it be that my BIOS, somehow does not allow me to flash a USB drive?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:19 pm 

Anyone know if the new rev D firmware can be used on a Rev C chip?

http://www.prolific.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:57 am 

Quote:
Anyone know if the new rev D firmware can be used on a Rev C chip?

http://www.prolific.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=44

The update fails.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:20 pm 

Ah well, the only problem I have remaining is that things don't sleep on firewire (fine on USB)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:02 pm 
Rookie

Hello!
I think I killed my enclosure. I have Argosy Enclosure HD 360 C. I wanted to update firmware inside. On Argosy web page I found updater, but very old one. I realised that is based on prolific chipset so I downloaded updater from prolific.com.tw. I started updater, reported error... and my drive is not seen anymore :( Is there any solution to reflash it?
Thanks

mrzolwik

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next