The Firmware Page

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:46 pm 

I have had the same problem with getting my PL 3507 firewire ext HDD to work using WinXP SP2. Read a lot of forums, firmwared my chip to last know upgrade and nothing
I read a topic on MS about them makin a hotfix, but not yet available
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885464
i hate my f^&#ing HDD case

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:44 am 
Rookie

Prolific have released new firmware for the PL3507 chipset.

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=44

Latest Release Date Version: 2005.11.28.148 [Checksum 5748]

Changes on this update:

1. Fixed BENQ DW-1640 ODD Burn Verify issue. [USB/1394]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:46 am 
Administrator
Administrator

mankmeister wrote:
Changes on this update:

Sounds great.

Thanks for the update!

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:48 am 
Fresh meat

mankmeister wrote:
Prolific have released new firmware for the PL3507 chipset.

Latest Release Date Version: 2005.11.28.148 [Checksum 5748]

Changes on this update:

Thanks for the news, downloading now.

The last "build" number 148 is smaller again, so it seems that it's not an increasing number necessarily.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:32 pm 

Hi,

I have read through all 10 pages of this subject, but failed to find any instructions concering how to determine what chip I have, and if it is flashable (other than opening up my enclosure, which is what I ended up doing). I too had hard drive partition corruptions leading to the error message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." All the data on that partition was wiped out. So, a few helpful hints :

Link to Prolific Fireware site :

If you download this file: rw_pl3507_icp_v23.zip from that site, you will get the RomWriter Firmware updater 2.3. You can use this version to tell you what chip and firmware revision you have in your enclosure. You don't actually have to open the enclosure and find the chip manually. This utility only works when you hook up your enclosure via the USB port. It doesn't matter if it is USB 1 or USB2, just as long as it is not the FW port. You can use the same utility to flash your firmware.

From that same prolific site, you can download the latest firmware. It is dated Nov 28th, 2005. I have flashed it to my enclosure, and it appears to be working fine. Hard to tell, I have only flashed it yesterday but I had 3 hard drive partition corruptions in the last 2 days, and none since. When you flash it, it should give you a "Successful" message. I needed to reboot in order for the READ ROM button of the writer to read that I was running the new firmware version. I have since changed back to my FireWire cable since I only have USB1.1 on my computer. Large File Transfers are now much quicker than they were before, as an added bonus.

Bustrace utility to determine if your FireWire drive is working properly. This is not definitive proof, but is a good indicator. If you have problems with the drive, it will very likely fail this test (it may corrupt data, don't run it on a drive unless you understand you may need to reformat it afterwords) :

http://www.bustrace.com/downloads/free_utilities.htm

If you have a SBP-2 drive in your enclosure, (Serial Bus Protocol 2) you also need at least 2 XP fixes for this to work properly. You can determine if your drive is SBP-2 by looking at your Device Manager under Disk Drives. Mine is called the "Prolific PL3507 combo device IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device". I also have it listed as a separate device later on as "SBP2 compliant IEEE Device".

You can find the Microsoft technote links here :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887170

Read the technotes, and determine if you have either problem. I only started to experience messages in my Event viewer AFTER I had upgraded the firmware. I was getting this repeatedly in the Event viewer "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log.
Corruption may occur." I am fairly certain that the reason I only got this error after the firmware upgrade was that the hard drive was performing so poorly previously, it was not making full use of the 16MB cache onboard and thus XP wasn't complaining about it. The new error in the Event viewer was therefore an encouraging sign (in my opinion).

The fix is not attached to the Microsoft support site, you have to contact Microsoft to get it. I did, and I have it. I have installed it, and since, that error message has disappeared from the logs. I have just asked MS for the second fix relative to the second technote listed above, so I don't have that one yet.

Finally, I do not know if this is related or not, but ever since I took all these steps, I started to get this error message in my Events viewer :
Windows saved user [computername\user] registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

There is equally a Microsoft fix for XP for this problem, however this one is freely available, you don't need to open a ticket to get it :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

That problem no longer appears in my Event viewer, but the fix did have to add an extra Service (User Profile Hive Cleanup Service).

So after doing all of this, it APPEARS as if I have a stable system with a FireWire enclosure which works with a 300 GB SBP-2 drive. I'll install the second XP fix when I get it, but I have never actually had the problem described in the second technote. However, I can probably get it on the same ticket so I may as well. XP owners are only allowed 2 free tickets before they have to start shelling out 45 bones for support incidents.

TH.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:19 am 
Rookie

Nice summary, the123hulk.

Sometime ago, I found a knowledge base article that had an even later revision of Ohci1394.sys than the two articles you mention. This version is freely downloadable.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;885222

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:46 am 

if somebody got the hotfixes for the
You can find the Microsoft technote links here :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887170

i really appreciate it
Thx
Later

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:13 am 
Professional Poster

Hi, Has anyone else noticed that the "burst transfer rate" within Nero CD/DVD Speed has gone down to 10-11MB/s via USB connect. I have tested this with three UDMA-4 DVD drives and the results are the same !!! This is with the NEW Firmware !!! Looks like they fixed Firewire and F'ed Up USB2 !!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:30 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Which 4 optical UDMA4 drives have you tested with?

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:38 am 
Rookie

beach-hobo wrote:
Hi, Has anyone else noticed that the "burst transfer rate" within Nero CD/DVD Speed has gone down to 10-11MB/s via USB connect. I have tested this with three UDMA-4 DVD drives and the results are the same !!! This is with the NEW Firmware !!! Looks like they fixed Firewire and F'ed Up USB2 !!!

I've just tested my BenQ 1640 flashed as EW164B and I still get 19MB/s connected via USB2. This is with 2 external USB2 hard drives connected as well so it would probably be higher without them connected.

FireWire is still around 26 MB/s.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:27 pm 
Professional Poster

[_chef_] wrote:
Which 4 optical UDMA4 drives have you tested with?

Pioneer 110D
LiteOn 1535S
Plextor 716A
BenQ 1620 (ext firmware - UDMA-3)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:33 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks man.

Impressive list of good drives.

LiteOn 1535S? Have to investigate... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:50 am 

Hi,

Little followup to my original post. It is now the 18th, 9 full days since I installed the new BIOS and all those MS patches. Everything works just fine. So the latest Nov 2005 Prolific PL3507 BIOS is the one you want.

Hulk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:18 am 

hi Hulk
Good for you it work. On my side of the world there is not so much sunshine. I wondered if u could post the MS patches or send them to me, but i think i will remain in the dark
later

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:53 pm 
Professional Poster

There is still a problem with the BenQ DW1640 and the latest PL-3507 Firmware. Nero Recode has a I/O error when trying to read a pressed DVD. It doesn't make a difference which 1640 firmware you use (internal, external, 740A) same problem...

If anyone has access to Prolific Tech Support, would you please report this problem !!!

See CDFreaks - BenQ forum for details...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Is this problem only with Nero Recode and which version?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:15 am 
Professional Poster

[_chef_] wrote:
Is this problem only with Nero Recode and which version?

Problem in both Nero V6 and Nero V7 (latest version of each). Have not tried Shrink yet. DVDDecrypter ripping in file mode works.

Problem is only via Firewire. Recode works via USB2 correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:15 am 
Professional Poster

[b]EMAIL TO PROLIFIC:[/b]

TO: Prolific PL-3507 Tech Support:

I have passed on this information to you last week. I did some additional testing and I will provide you the details.

Problem: Nero Recode - I/O Error (ONLY ON FIREWIRE) USB2 is OK.

ODD Drive: Benq DW1640
Firmware used to test: Internal (BSLB,BSNB,BSOB), External (BEFB,BEGB), Plextor (740A101)
Prolific PL-3507 Firmware: 2005.11.28.148 (5748)

Nero Version:
Recode under Nero Version 6 (latest version) - I/O ERROR on Firewire - USB2 OK
Recode under Nero Version 7 (latest version) - I/O ERROR on Firewire - USB2 OK

DVDShrink 3.2 (Firewire & USB2 are OK)

See attached PNG File (picture) !!!

Please feel free to use me for testing if you determine what the problem is !!!!
Just Email me the 3507 Firmware you want me to test !!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:25 am 
Professional Poster

In addition, CloneDVD2 also get an I/O error via Firewire. No errors via USB2...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:35 pm 

the123hulk wrote:
Hi,

Little followup to my original post. It is now the 18th, 9 full days since I installed the new BIOS and all those MS patches. Everything works just fine. So the latest Nov 2005 Prolific PL3507 BIOS is the one you want.

Hulk

Finally i could redo ur steps and im still at a loss so im glad for u but sad for me :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:36 pm 

Just my two cents here...
Bought a cheapo CompUSA branded HD combo box that has a PL3507 chipset. Put a drive in it and fired it up under WinXP-SP2 and it disconnected when I tried to full format. Tried both USB and Firewire with same results. Flashed to the latest firmware from Prolific TW and no joy, could only quick format NTFS. Snaked the MS hotfixes off the web and no improvement. Seemed to read and write large files (3 GB) OK (though rather slowly and I didn't do any verification). Ran the Bustrace util (1394test.exe) many times and it passed every time, with USB faster than Firewire. Finally, hooked it up to an iMAC G5, cloned OSX 10.4 to it and it boots, and runs fine so far. Took the Adaptec HD combo box that was running on the iMac, reformatted it under WinXP and it seems to work fine.
Bottom line... there seems to be affinities between the different host adapters and usb-firewire/to/ide bridge boards under XP. And it appears that Macs are more tolerant in this respect. If you follow the steps in this thread and are still having trouble with yours, either try a different host adapter or a bridge with a different chipset.
BTW, the Adaptec uses a Genesys chip and is recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:50 am 

Hi,
I just got external box for hard drive (USB & Firmware).
I got problem:

1. a BSOD screen everytime I connect the hard drive
using firewire cable to my Win XP SP 2

2. So I tried the firmware writer supplied by prolific
(rw_pl3507_icp_v23.zip == RomWriter v2.3.0)

3. I connect the USB cable and update the flash with
latest firmware, what happened was the process
corrupted in the middle of process and stop straight
away (error message = "Can't find device..."). I tried
clicking "update" many times but still the same.

4.I unplug the USB cable and plug it back, but
unfortunatelly no device found in XP (Darn...)

It seems the chipset has been erased & crashed and my
Win XP unable to detect any new hardware everytime I
connect them using USB / Firewire.

My question is do you know any firmware writer
software that can runs under DOS
? so it will be able
to detect the hardware through USB and I be able to detect my hard drive again.

THANKS in advance!!!

Ps: My hard drive = 250 Gb W.D.
PPS: My chipset
PL-3507
05384C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

televisi wrote:
My question is do you know any firmware writer
software that can runs under DOS
? so it will be able
to detect the hardware through USB and I be able to detect my hard drive again.

Most DOS flashers should work after installing a USB driver before.

But flashing a firmware to harddisks is not recommended over USB etc.!!

Install the latest updates/fixes for your OS and try again.
Use some tools from the hdd manufacturer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:05 pm 

hm... what I mean was, I tried to re-flash the external box (which consist of prolific PL 3507 chipset) as I'm not willing to re-flash the hard drive itself.

I tried using the original prolific firmware (http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=44) => fw_pl3507B_d112805.zip

and their supplied firmware writer => rw_pl3507_icp_v23.zip

but unfortunatelly the writer (rw_pl3507_icp_v23.zip) is run under GUI, not a DOS / text based which I can run under DOS / Win 98 version...

Any idea to solve this problem? as I cant detect my USB device using XP SP2

Thanks

[_chef_] wrote:
Most DOS flashers should work after installing a USB driver before.

But flashing a firmware to harddisks is not recommended over USB etc.!!

Install the latest updates/fixes for your OS and try again.
Use some tools from the hdd manufacturer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I would try it on another computer then.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next