The Firmware Page

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:39 am

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:24 am 

I flashed my GSA 4120B LG drive with Dangerous Brothers firmware, the tested to read media, recorded everything except double-layer media. All is OK!
Thanks a lot for this free firmware, which, as your work, really costs money!
Koziy_MF.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:41 pm 
Fresh meat

Hi,

I downloaded the flash program for LG-4120B (A11) and the flashing operation went very well. I rebooted my comp and used DiscInfo and Dreive Region Info 2.2 to check the results.

The both programs says that I have still

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:16 pm 
Past Administrator

Autoreset firmwares are different from RPC-1 firmwares. Drives using Autoreset firmwares still have a region counter, however, it is reset when the drive loses power.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:55 am 
Fresh meat

dhc014 wrote:
Autoreset firmwares are different from RPC-1 firmwares. Drives using Autoreset firmwares still have a region counter, however, it is reset when the drive loses power.

Ok, so what you mean is I can change the region code and after I shutdown/reboot my computer, the drive resets the region change count to 5 again?

Is there RPC-1 firmware available for 4120B?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:01 am 
Past Administrator

Yep. Yep, from the same place you go the Autoreset firmware. Also, you should've read the link at the top of the page to understand what you were doing before flashing. The link explains Autoreset and RPC-1 firmwares and what is required for a completely region free system.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:04 am 

dhc014 wrote:

But I flashed with RPC1 firmware...
Other question: when device has autoreset firmware, will it every time after power reset flash the chip inside? If it will, so, how much times can we flash the chip? 500? 1000? Or my DVD writer will overburn before flash memory will die? *))))
Thanks a lot, K.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:06 am 
Past Administrator

The chip isn't flashed. Autoreset firmwares work by storing the region settings in a separate RAM chip which is volatile, that is, cleared as soon as the drive loses power. These settings would normally be stored in non-volatile memory which retains its data even when unpowered. The firmware is not flashed each time you restart or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:07 am 
Administrator
Administrator

koziy_mf wrote:
Other question: when device has autoreset firmware, will it every time after power reset flash the chip inside?

What? How should the drive flash itself??
Resetting ok, but flashing, no.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:10 am 
Fresh meat

dhc014 wrote:
Yep. Yep, from the same place you go the Autoreset firmware. Also, you should've read the link at the top of the page to understand what you were doing before flashing. The link explains Autoreset and RPC-1 firmwares and what is required for a completely region free system.

Can't find the RPC-1 firmware there. I clicked the link it brought me back here and then i downloaded GSA4120A111.exe file. So is that the auto-reset firmware or RPC-1? Or do I somehow have to choose which one I'll flash.

Sorry I'm so confused...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:13 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Infra wrote:
Can't find the RPC-1 firmware there.

LG HL-DT-ST GSA-4120B
Auto Reset and RPC1 Firmware - N0AD Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), A101 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), A102 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), A104 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), A110 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), and A111 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset).

As you can see, Autoreset & RPC-1 firmwares are included in every package!

Also, there is no "GSA4120A111.exe", there is a zip package "GSA4120A111" which contains both the Autoeset & the RPC-1 firmware.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:20 am 
Fresh meat

[_chef_] wrote:
Infra wrote:
Can't find the RPC-1 firmware there.

LG HL-DT-ST GSA-4120B
Auto Reset and RPC1 Firmware - N0AD Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), A101 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), A102 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), A104 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), A110 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset), and A111 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset).

As you can see, Autoreset & RPC1 firmwares are included in every package!

Yes i read that but it only contains one exe file....so how do i choose the rpc1 firmware then? The tdb.rpc1.org won't let me download them and directs me to here....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:22 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Infra wrote:
Yes i read that but it only contains one exe file....so how do i choose the rpc1 firmware then? The tdb.rpc1.org won't let me download them and directs me to here....

No, it contains both versions!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:26 am 
Fresh meat

[_chef_] wrote:
Infra wrote:

No, it contains both versions!

Well then the rpc1 firmware doesn't work because Nero InfoTool, DiscInfo and DVD Drive info says this has a region protection....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:30 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Infra wrote:
Well then the rpc1 firmware doesn't work because Nero InfoTool, DiscInfo and DVD Drive info says this has a region protection....

That has nothing much to mean or say. It could be cheated by software running in the background.
Read & understand this Announcement made by >NIL:. http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=239

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:42 am 
Fresh meat

[_chef_] wrote:
Infra wrote:

That has nothing much to mean or say. It could be cheated by software running in the background.
Read & understand this Announcement made by >NIL:. http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=239

OK, i tested the Region Killer app, and now InfoTool says (when Region killer is enabled) that the firmware is RPC-1. So I guess the drive is region free?

But DiscInfo still says the drive is locked. Even if Region Killer is enabled. Is there a way to remove those locks forever?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:46 am 
Administrator
Administrator

[_chef_] wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:02 am 
Fresh meat

[_chef_] wrote:
[_chef_] wrote:

That post doesn't help much.

And i tested the autoreset thingy...and it doesn't work either. I changed the region of my drive and then booted the comp and after the boot it says i have 4 changes left...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Infra wrote:
That post doesn't help much.

And i tested the autoreset thingy...and it doesn't work either. I changed the region of my drive and then booted the comp and after the boot it says i have 4 changes left...

:lol:
Sorry, but it seems to me that you haven't read the Announcement by >NIL: already...

If it wouldn't work, why does it work for others???
If you have applied the patch properly, it should work properly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:35 am 
Fresh meat

Code:
So, unless a program like DISCInfo or Drive Region Info (see the Utilities section on the Homepage) tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

It says that in the announcement. And that is my case...DiscInfo tells me that my drive is region locked. So does DVD Genie(if i enable REgion killer then it says it unlocked) and DVD Drive info.

What patch? I just flashed with the http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_file.php?site= ... 20W111.ZIP

EDIT: I think i found the cause to this. I think my firewall is blocking me to download the right file from tdb.rpc1.org, i have to test it when i get back home.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:34 pm 
Past Administrator

Also, be aware that the autoreset patched for LG GSA-41XXB drives do not reset the counter all the way to 5 allowed changes, they only reset it to whatever the counter was at before flashing. If you were to lock your drive to a region while using an official firmware, then the autoresetting firmware would not be a solution for you, you'd need the RPC-1 firmware.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:43 pm 
Fresh meat

dhc014 wrote:
Also, be aware that the autoreset patched for LG GSA-41XXB drives do not reset the counter all the way to 5 allowed changes, they only reset it to whatever the counter was at before flashing. If you were to lock your drive to a region while using an official firmware, then the autoresetting firmware would not be a solution for you, you'd need the RPC-1 firmware.

Yeah i found out that my firewall was preventing me downloading the rpc1 firmware from tdb.rpc1.org. Now it works like a dream :)

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:30 am 

I've successfully flashed my 4120b to A111 RPC-1 from official A104, according to dvdinfo pro atleast.

Anyway, the new nero says it's auto setting my DVD-RW's to a DVD-ROM booktype, but when I check the media with dvdinfo pro or cd/dvd speed, they still say the booktype is DVD-RW.

Has anyone had any luck with having the booktype actually stick?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:05 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Nero is crap even for Bitsetting, use DVDInfoPro instead if you can.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:28 pm 

DVDInfo Pro only let's me change the booktype's for +R/RW and +R DL
Is this the way it should be? or should I also be able to change it for -R/RW?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Bitsetting is ONLY for +R/RW, it doesn't exist for -R/RW and there would be no reason for Bitsetting on -R/RW.