The Firmware Page

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:39 pm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:20 pm 

I've downloaded the inofficial "BH10LS30_1.00-06" from rpc1.org
When i open the BH10LS30_1.00-06 with Media Code Speed Edit
i could read in Firmware Rev: "BH10 NS30 MAIN"
and in Bootcode Rev: "BH10 NS30 CORE".

Seems like that is not the firmware "BH10LS30_1.00-06" ??

Wrong File ? :?:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

And which firmware does your drive have??

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:10 am 
Firmware Patcher

anyburn wrote:
I've downloaded the inofficial "BH10LS30_1.00-06" from rpc1.org
When i open the BH10LS30_1.00-06 with Media Code Speed Edit
i could read in Firmware Rev: "BH10 NS30 MAIN"
and in Bootcode Rev: "BH10 NS30 CORE".

Seems like that is not the firmware "BH10LS30_1.00-06" ??

Wrong File ? :?:

It is the correct file. LG NS and LS firmwares are almost identical and include several drive id strings.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:57 am 

My drive has the version BH10LS30 1.00-07 with decreased readspeed.

I want to increase the read speed.

It is the LG BH10 Blueray Disc Rewriter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:27 pm 

i have this rewriter and am trying to burn tdk 50gb bdrs using imageburn

they are expensive coasters!

anybody else have this problem?
would the unofficial firmware updates help and if so which one
do i need to load both 6 and 7?
how do they get applied to the drive
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

anyburn wrote:
My drive has the version BH10LS30 1.00-07 with decreased readspeed.

I want to increase the read speed.

It is the LG BH10 Blueray Disc Rewriter.

Where is the proof for that?
The drive is slow reading BD DL because of the hardware design...

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

medway wrote:
i have this rewriter and am trying to burn tdk 50gb bdrs using imageburn

they are expensive coasters!

anybody else have this problem?
would the unofficial firmware updates help and if so which one
do i need to load both 6 and 7?
how do they get applied to the drive
thanks

You should choose CMC/Intenso BD media, the LG prefers them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:45 pm 
Rookie

Hello friends,

Does the unofficial "BH10LS30_1.00-06" firmware available in the database makes this BH10LS30 a RPC-1 drive ?

Is there a procedure to flash the LG firmware available somewhere ?

Tks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Nope!

Unless otherwise stated, all those firmwares are RPC2!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:44 pm 
Rookie

Damned !...

Is there a BD burner that is RPC-1 or could be flashed to RPC-1 ? (as I use Linux, the only thing I miss is a RPC-1 BD/DVD burner).

I would like to know this prior buying the drive...

Tks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:25 pm 
Firmware Patcher

nounours18 wrote:
Damned !...

Is there a BD burner that is RPC-1 or could be flashed to RPC-1 ? (as I use Linux, the only thing I miss is a RPC-1 BD/DVD burner).

No, but you can patch the LG BD firmware to RPC2 autoreset, which means that the drives does not remember any further region changes after the next power on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:08 pm 
Rookie

Quote:
No, but you can patch the LG BD firmware to RPC2 autoreset, which means that the drives does not remember any further region changes after the next power on.

This would be wonderful, but how to patch it ??

I have not seen such a patch or program on the RPC-1 utilities page: http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44362 ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:21 pm 
Firmware Patcher

Either check the page again, ask google for "RPC2 autoreset" or follow the link in my signature.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:13 pm 
Rookie

Thank you very much ala42, I have got it !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:08 pm 

hi guys...
a question..
what kind of improvement have i with this new firmware (1.00-06)?
and with 1.00-07?
i've some burning problem with certain bd like mediarange..
on computer all ok... but on my player.... continuosly cliks...
i use imgburn...
if somebody can help me... i appreciate...
tks...

#-o

Last edited by lubbio on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:23 am 
Administrator
Administrator

mediarange is el cheapo media, that must be clear to you.

So, the first rule is to buy and use reliable media, not the cheapest...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:33 pm 

ok but... what kind of improvement have i with 1.00-06 firmware?
and with 1.00-07?
tks
:oops:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

No idea, sorry.

They are inoffical yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:05 pm 

yeah i know... but i think that something change....
no one knows about it?
mmmm...
#-o

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 pm 
Fresh meat

ala42 wrote:
Either check the page again, ask google for "RPC2 autoreset" or follow the link in my signature.

I have done that, but can't find a reference to the actual procedure to use to flash the firmware. I've also read that it has to be done in "real dos" which I don't even know how to enter in Windows 7. I'm really surprised that nowhere in the FAQs on this forum is there actually something that lays out how to use the downloaded firmware executables to flash the drives. This is probably so obvious to you guys that it's second nature, but I'd still really really really like some sort of guidance. The instructions an ala42s MCSE page just says "flash as usual," which means what?

My only point of reference here is flashing the bios, and that's usually done using some kind of utility either at bootup or in windows, but the boot utility is preferable. There are usually elaborate instructions that vary by MB manufacturer. I have no experience flashing drive firmware, and don't have the first notion about what to do, or in what order.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

AFAIK, REAL DOS is not possible using w7.

The only chance is to either use a prepared floppy disk, an usb drive, a flash drive or creating a special bootable DOS partition....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:19 am 
Fresh meat

[_chef_] wrote:

The only chance is to either use a prepared floppy disk, an usb drive, a flash drive or creating a special bootable DOS partition....

So, on a forum titled "The Firmware Page" there's no FAQ or set of instructions on how to flash firmware, and no one's willing to even address the issue? Incredible.

Update: I googled a site that at least provides some information, suggesting that the "exe" file I downloaded from the database on this forum is, in fact, *the utility*. That much isn't even explained in a FAQ. Also, there's isn't any information on whether the utility can be run from Windows or must be run from "Real DOS". (I happened to see a reference to that possibility in the thread, but it's nowhere in a FAQ.) I suppose that the safest thing to do would be to use an old Windows 98 install disk I have and boot directly into DOS after having placed the executable in the root directory. Then I'd just type the name of the utility, and it would run and would, presumably, flash the drive. Hopefully it would flash the correct drive, but I imagine there's some kind of command line parameter that I should type along with the name of the utility. *But there's nothing in your FAQ to explain this.*

Could someone please explain whether I'm even on the right track, here? Sheesh.

Update 2: I looked to see if there were instructions on what to do to update firmware manually on the LG support website. There's no listing at all for the BH10LS30, but assuming the procedure is the same as for the BH08LS20 then it's a utility meant to run on Windows 7, and won't run in DOS anyway. The only constraint they mention is to close all background programs as well as virus programs, so I guess the thing to do is to boot into Safe Mode without networking and then shut off the virus program and click the exe file. BTW, I've tried running the firmware update software that they provide on their install disk, and it doesn't seem to have a user interface, so doesn't even provide feedback as to whether the update has been performed. That alone seems like reason enough to just uninstall it, just so it doesn't happen to go off half cocked. I hate software that doesn't even let the user know what it's doing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:41 am 
Administrator
Administrator

freewheeling wrote:
[_chef_] wrote:

So, on a forum titled "The Firmware Page" there's no FAQ or set of instructions on how to flash firmware, and no one's willing to even address the issue? Incredible.

Update: I googled a site that at least provides some information, suggesting that the "exe" file I downloaded from the database on this forum is, in fact, *the utility*. That much isn't even explained in a FAQ. Also, there's isn't any information on whether the utility can be run from Windows or must be run from "Real DOS". (I happened to see a reference to that possibility in the thread, but it's nowhere in a FAQ.) I suppose that the safest thing to do would be to use an old Windows 98 install disk I have and boot directly into DOS after having placed the executable in the root directory. Then I'd just type the name of the utility, and it would run and would, presumably, flash the drive. Hopefully it would flash the correct drive, but I imagine there's some kind of command line parameter that I should type along with the name of the utility. *But there's nothing in your FAQ to explain this.*

Could someone please explain whether I'm even on the right track, here? Sheesh.

Update 2: I looked to see if there were instructions on what to do to update firmware manually on the LG support website. There's no listing at all for the BH10LS30, but assuming the procedure is the same as for the BH08LS20 then it's a utility meant to run on Windows 7, and won't run in DOS anyway. The only constraint they mention is to close all background programs as well as virus programs, so I guess the thing to do is to boot into Safe Mode without networking and then shut off the virus program and click the exe file. BTW, I've tried running the firmware update software that they provide on their install disk, and it doesn't seem to have a user interface, so doesn't even provide feedback as to whether the update has been performed. That alone seems like reason enough to just uninstall it, just so it doesn't happen to go off half cocked. I hate software that doesn't even let the user know what it's doing.

Please STOP spreading lies here...

You haven't carefully read our FAQ aswell as the Flashing guide by dhc014, otherwise you wouldn't post such things here.
I still have no idea which software you exactly downloaded to try on your drive. Maybe my assumption was wrong about "real DOS", but I don't know the drive itself because simply I don't have it...

So, WHERE have you read that "I've also read that it has to be done in "real dos" ???

And as a final sentence, are you aware that this entire forum is free of charge?? If you have a problem with that then you shouldn't be here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:57 am 

First way to hijack a post, this should of been posted in another thread and with more context, I'm surprised [_chef_] even let that slide, you must of distracted him some how.

second your drive can be flashed in any Windows NT based system, Mac OSX intel, and Linux (Linux currently requires self compile).

older versions of my tool worked and I just fixed my tool today that had a bug. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46137
which has all the info you need. which means you did not read very well or even try since your drive ID is directly in that post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:07 pm 
Fresh meat

devilsclaw wrote:
First way to hijack a post, this should of been posted in another thread and with more context, I'm surprised [_chef_] even let that slide, you must of distracted him some how.

second your drive can be flashed in any Windows NT based system, Mac OSX intel, and Linux (Linux currently requires self compile).

older versions of my tool worked and I just fixed my tool today that had a bug. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46137
which has all the info you need. which means you did not read very well or even try since your drive ID is directly in that post.

I have no problem transferring it to another post, but it sorta does seem relevant to the issue of burning this firmware. In fact, I'm afraid I don't quite understand the perspective that says it's off topic to ask for help burning firmware on a thread about burning firmware, or posting what one finds about that topic somewhere else on the web. It's clearly missing as a FAQ.

I'm, quite frankly, puzzled by your response.

Update: BTW, thanks for answering my question with a link. I did search under "firmware flashing" but didn't find anything, and AFAICT there isn't a link to your tool on the utilities page or any mention of it in the FAQ. I also did a search under the drive name, but just found references to the database, and it took me awhile to even find that via the portal. Your response is actually the reason I posted the question. How is that the *wrong* thing to do???

Last edited by freewheeling on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.