The Firmware Page

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:22 pm 

big thanks, but i'm not that terminal literate ....could u pls explain in simpler steps 8O

p.s. i have KB19

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:35 pm 
Firmware Patcher

Why do you want to use terminal instead of the drag&drop version ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:04 am 

because it's a ppc only app and i don't have rosetta installed, and don't want to install it just to run this flasher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

mbk wrote:
because it's a ppc only app and i don't have rosetta installed, and don't want to install it just to run this flasher

Then forget about it please or ask a friend to do it for you.

We can expect some self effort in case of helping.
Seems to me that you don't want to use this flasher then...

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:00 pm 

my drive's a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ867A in a 2009 macbook, Firmware Revision: KK08.

i'm trying to make it region free, so downloaded/unzipped: UJ-867_KK08_RPC1.dat, tried to drop it into MashitaFlasher, and got this in the terminal window:

Last login: Thu Feb 11 11:50:34 on ttys000
bob-ryans-MacBook:~ bobryan$ /Users/bobryan/Desktop/MatshitaFlasher.app/Contents/Resources/call_simple_flash ; exit;

calling simple_flash with firmware file /Users/bobryan/Desktop/UJ-867_KK08_Stock_RPC1-1/UJ-867_KK08_RPC1.dat

simple_flash V 2.01 compiled at Feb 4 2010 00:22:16
Selected firmware: MATSHITADVD-R UJ867A KK08
Could not open device

logout

[Process completed]

any ideas why it "could not open device?'

i've tried to comb the forum for a fix, but i'm new and may have missed something. if so, sorry in advanced.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Looks like you tried to flash Selected firmware: "MATSHITADVD-R UJ867A KK08" (stock firmware) ...

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:02 am 

Thanks to the help from ala42 i looked up some basic terminal 101 and managed to flash the drive using the terminal with the script from the Flasher app since i could not open the app without rosetta, this is basically ala42's instructions simplified for dummies.

Quote:
place a folder with both the simple_flash script and the .dat file on the desktop and call the folder 'flasher'

in terminal

cd /users/you/desktop/flasher

it will return the flasher folder

verify the contents by typing

ls -1

then enter

./simple_flash 0 firmwarefilename
(p.s. that is a zero, and the firmware filename must be exact including the extension)

it will ask for confirmation

enter y

wait for completion

exit terminal

done

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

mbk,

fine that it worked for you.
Thanks for posting the info - could help other users which are in the same situation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 pm 
Rookie

Has the CMB UJ-120 firmware been provided for flashing? If not, who exactly do i send it to, ben11 via a PM or just post the rapidshare link here?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:10 am 
Firmware Patcher

count23 wrote:
Has the CMB UJ-120 firmware been provided for flashing? If not, who exactly do i send it to, ben11 via a PM or just post the rapidshare link here?

Does the dump tool work with the UJ-120 ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:56 am 
Rookie

wouldnt have the slightest idea, but i can try it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:53 pm 
Rookie

it's a MacOS only program, is there a windows version around?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:10 pm 
Firmware Patcher

count23 wrote:

Yes, there is, and dumping already failed in a BD drive test, so I was a bit surprised that you asked where to send the dump to.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

count23 wrote:

can you read this thread's initial posting, its for mac only

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:43 pm 
Rookie

This is in response to my own post, dated Jan 24, 2010 (01:02 pm), which can be found on page 3 of this thread. My specs can also be found in that post.

In a nutshell: I had successfully flashed RPC1 firmware (UJ-857E, ZF1E) on my MacBook3,1 running OSX 10.5. After this flash my drive would still mount Data-DVDs and CDs, but it failed to mount most Movie DVDs. They were simply ejected. This had nothing to do with dust/dirt on the DVDs or inside the Drive. The strange thing was (and still is) that some Movie DVDs mounted occasionally, but not always. I certainly did not have any of these problems before flashing the RPC1 firmware.

I now found out that I can get these "Problem-DVDs" to mount by holding the shift key pressed, when I insert the DVDs. I did not know of this feature until I ran across a fairly entertaining thread over here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=435355

I thought this might be interesting/helpful to others as well. It seems to me that MdH (post of Jan 28, 2010 10:08 pm, on page 4 of this thread) might have had the same issue after he installed Snow Leopard (I think MdH mentioned that his firmware was updated at the same time). This tells me that my issue may not necessarily be caused by the RPC1 firmware per se. Maybe it's a problem with some of the UJ-857E / ZF1E drives - even with regular firmware.

Anyways, the workaround appears to be working for me so far and I can happily use my region-free firmware. Thanks to everybody involved in the project. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:37 pm 
Rookie

I guess I spoke too soon. The most recent DVD mounting successfully was just a fluke. This means I am back to the situation where Movie DVDs are ejected shortly after I insert them - at least 80% of the time. I would love to know what the root cause of this is. I am not convinced that it's the RPC1 firmware, but it is curious that the problem started to show up right after I flashed the firmware. Well, maybe somebody in this forum comes up with a good idea ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

jg0815 wrote:
I guess I spoke too soon. The most recent DVD mounting successfully was just a fluke. This means I am back to the situation where Movie DVDs are ejected shortly after I insert them - at least 80% of the time. I would love to know what the root cause of this is. I am not convinced that it's the RPC1 firmware, but it is curious that the problem started to show up right after I flashed the firmware. Well, maybe somebody in this forum comes up with a good idea ...

have you got RegionX installed?, you can flash back to original firmware and try.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:13 pm 
Rookie

Puma wrote:
have you got RegionX installed?, you can flash back to original firmware and try.

Yep, I know I can always go back (thanks to you guys). However, since I still have a couple of Macs with their DVD Drives working, I can live with the on-and-off performance of my MacBook for a while. I want to keep watching what happens. Maybe I can find some sort of a pattern in the way my MacBook accepts and refuses DVDs ...

As soon as it really starts bothering me, I will flash back to the original firmware.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:34 pm 

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I have read all FAQ and searched my issue in depth before I post this.

It looks like I have a rare Drive/firmware combination I would like to flash region code free.

The Mac:
Powerbook G4 Titanium/1Ghz/MAC OS 10.5.8

The Drive:
-Matshita UJ 825S
-Firmware D100
-RPC-2 (locked)
-Burning is vendor supported
-Support for CD-R/RW DVD-R/RAM/-RW

I dumped the firmware with the matshita_mem_dump and have it zipped.
After searching all applicable threads and FAQ I have following questions:
1. Ist there already a RPC-1 firmware out there?
2. If not, is anybody still accepting Firmware dumps from this old drive?
3. If Yes on 2. how can I upload it?

Thanks Guys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Solarteur wrote:
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I have read all FAQ and searched my issue in depth before I post this.

It looks like I have a rare Drive/firmware combination I would like to flash region code free.

The Mac:
Powerbook G4 Titanium/1Ghz/MAC OS 10.5.8

The Drive:
-Matshita UJ 825S
-Firmware D100
-RPC-2 (locked)
-Burning is vendor supported
-Support for CD-R/RW DVD-R/RAM/-RW

I dumped the firmware with the matshita_mem_dump and have it zipped.
After searching all applicable threads and FAQ I have following questions:
1. Ist there already a RPC-1 firmware out there?
2. If not, is anybody still accepting Firmware dumps from this old drive?
3. If Yes on 2. how can I upload it?

Thanks Guys

Did you read the first post of this thread?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:07 am 

Puma,
yes I did. Did I miss anything?
My Drive with this firmware does not show up in any previous threads or Powerbook.fr
Also I could not find any instructions where and how to upload a dump.
Maybe you could give me hint.
thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Solarteur wrote:
Puma,
yes I did. Did I miss anything?
My Drive with this firmware does not show up in any previous threads or Powerbook.fr
Also I could not find any instructions where and how to upload a dump.
Maybe you could give me hint.
thanks

send it to ala42 or post it here, you have a 2mb limit for attachments, but the dump will not be that zipped. Or use a fileshare site, like megaupload/rapidshare.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:11 pm 
Rookie

Hi,

I have read through this thread and I understand that the RPC1 firmware(s) and flash utilities are for Macs.

I have also read that it might be possible to flash windows pcs but it is less clear how/what/where

I have a windows PC with a slim UJ-875 drive and i am keen to find/flash a RPC1 firmware for it.

ala42 - is this possible? If so, how? Are you planning to release a windows based flashing utility?

Many thanks for clarifying.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

xps5130 wrote:
Hi,

I have read through this thread and I understand that the RPC1 firmware(s) and flash utilities are for Macs.

I have also read that it might be possible to flash windows pcs but it is less clear how/what/where

I have a windows PC with a slim UJ-875 drive and i am keen to find/flash a RPC1 firmware for it.

ala42 - is this possible? If so, how? Are you planning to release a windows based flashing utility?

Many thanks for clarifying.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34750&start=250

Its stated this thread is for MAC, please do not start posting windows request here, see the link above

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:27 am 

Hi,
I am fixing up a couple of G4 Titanium Powerbooks. For this purpose I have purchased a lot with used optical drives.
One of them is an Apple labeled Matshita CW-8123-C Combo drive. I know that these drives originally came in G4 AL Powerbooks and G4 iBooks. I installed it into a 667Mhz DVI Titanium and it was recognized by the system profiler indicating Firmware CA10. But that was it. CD´s and DVD´s spin up but don´t mount. Ejection via F12 does not work. Disk Ejection has to be initiated manually with the hardware switch. (Actually just 2 bare contact points in the front - not used by Apple.)
The first disk that I have inserted was a laser head cleaning CD - so I doubt that it is just a dirty laser.

I found that these drives are still sold as replacement drives for Titaniums by certain online vendors. They are advertised as compatible with Pismo, Titanium, PB G4 AL and iBook G4.

Here are my questions:
1. Is there anybody out there who has used this drive in a Titanium?
1. Which firmware do I need to flash in order to use it in a Titanium?
2. Is there a RPC-1 version available?

I have tried to dump the CA10 firmware with the latest OSX dump tool. The script ran but didn´t save a file.

Any hints that help me getting this device run in a Titanium are welcome.
Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next