(NEW) Matshita Patched Firmware Thread (MAC Only)

Use this forum for Macintosh specific firmware discussion.

Moderators: chef, Puma, devilsclaw

(NEW) Matshita Patched Firmware Thread (MAC Only)

Postby ala42 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:06 pm

All Future Requests that relate to the MAC specificially, and Matshita drives or RPC1 patched region free firmwares, should be posted in this thread, and nowhere else, members will be warned initially, and requests made outside of this thread, deleted without notice.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING AND POST THIS WITH YOUR REQUEST

1) Check and ensure your request has not already been asked for
2) Post information about your drive, model, firmware revision, mac model/OS
3) What you require, original firmware, RPC1 patched etc.
4) Please provide a dump from your drive, Email or upload it somewhere.

Most important, be patient, and do not crosspost or bump your request, as this will not help, now if you all follow this, then hopefully, some clever patchers can start patching these notorious drives.

All updates will be added to this thread, and this thread only, this includes new releases, links etc

Utility releases:
2010-01-24 MatshitaFlasher - MacOS based firmware flash tool
The problem with blanks in application path is fixed in the current release.
2010-01-31 MatshitaFlasher V2.0 - MacOS based firmware flash tool
This release supports flashing of the firmware binaries embedded in the apple firmware updates released by ben11.
2010-01-31 MatshitaMemoryDump - MacOS based firmware dump tool
This release is based on ben11 dump tool, just the generated file name is changed and includes the drive name and firmware revision now.
2010-02-03 MatshitaFlasher V2.01 - MacOS based firmware flash tool

Firmware releases, original and RPC1 patched (tested):
2010-01-12 UJ-868_KB19_Stock_RPC1
2010-01-14 UJ-857E_ZF1E_Stock_RPC1
2010-01-15 UJ-867A_KK08_Stock_RPC1
2010-01-16 UJ-875S_1.00_Stock_RPC1
2010-01-20 UJ-867_HA13_Stock_RPC1
2010-01-30 UJ-898_HA07_Stock_RPC1
2010-01-30 UJ-85JS_F100_Acer_Stock_RPC1
2010-01-30 UJ862A_1.06_Stock_RPC1
2010-01-31 UJ-875_DA09_Stock_RPC1
2010-01-31 UJ-857G_Z111_Stock_RPC1
2010-02-03 UJ-875_DB09_Stock_RPC1
2010-03-20 UJ-867_HB01_Stock_RPC1
2010-04-19 UJ-898_HC10_Stock_RPC1
2010-08-24 UJ-898_HD10_Stock_RPC1

Check the "Matshita and Apple RPC1 firmware: a summary" thread for older Matshita Mac firmwares.

Firmware releases converted from already released packages by ben11, original and RPC1 patched (tested):
2010-01-28 UJ-857_HAEA_Stock_RPC1
2010-01-28 UJ-846_FQ3T_Stock_RPC1

Risks:
In the worst case your drive will be dead after upgrading to the patched firmware. The risk is low as the flasher is known to be working on several different drives, the RPC1 patch is tested and works on several firmwares.

Firmwares build from a firmware dump have a higher risk than official firmware releases as the process involved might not be correct. This process was verified with several firmwares by extracting the firmware from the dump and comparing the result with the known working firmwares generated by ben11 before.

Untested RPC1 firmwares:
Other firmwares can be prepared when a original firmware or a dump made from a drive with matshita_memory is available.

Unsupported firmwares:
If your drive is not supported yet, post a firmware dump of your drive using the MatshitaMemoryDump tool listed in Utility releases above.
To dump the firmware, make sure there is no disc in the drive, unzip the package and start it. It will create a 4MB file, e.g. MATSHITADVD-R___UJ-898__HA07_dump_0.dat. Please zip the file before uploading.

MacOS firmware flash tool:
To flash the firmware a safety improved version of ben11's simple_flash command line tool is used, combined with a wrapper that allows drag&drop of the firmware file, so you do not have to start Terminal and manually enter commands.

MacOS flashing instructions:
- Unzip MatshitaFlasher.zip and the firmware zip file
- Make sure there is no disc in the drive.
- The firmware .zip file typically includes two firmware .dat files of ~700-800KB size, one original and one RPC1 patched firmware
- In Finder drop the firmware .dat file (not the directory) you want to flash on the MatshitaFlasher application.
- A terminal window will pop up, listing drive and firmware ids and ask you if you want to continue flashing
- In case of drive/firmware mismatch or a corrupted firmware file the drive will not be flashed

If you want to flash the firmwares embedded in one of the old packages released by ben11, drop the old flasher app, e.g. "Update HAEA to region free" on the MatshitaFlasher application. The script will find the firmware automatically, which usually is in the Contents/PlugIns/?????.staple/Contents/MacOS subdirectory.

Typical Terminal window after dropping the firmware .dat file on the flasher application:
Code: Select all
simple_flash V 1.02 compiled at Jan 24 2010
Selected firmware: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-868 KB19
Selected device: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-868 KB19

Continue?
y

Firmware update running, do not interrupt ...
Finished

logout

[Process completed]

Check RPC state:
Make sure the RPC region on your drive is already set. You can check that with DVD Info X:
DVD Info X v1.0.1, by xvi (xvi@rpc1.org)

WARNING --- DVD Info X will only list DVD drives that have some WRITE
capabilities, like combos, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc...
DVD-ROM-only drives will NOT be listed.
WARNING --- You also must eject any inserted medium to list the drive.

Vendor: MATSHITA
Model: DVD-R UJ-868
Firmware: KB19
RPC-2 (region locked)
State is SET
4 vendor resets left
4 region changes left
Region 2

After flashing the RPC1 firmware:
DVD Info X v1.0.1, by xvi (xvi@rpc1.org)

WARNING --- DVD Info X will only list DVD drives that have some WRITE
capabilities, like combos, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc...
DVD-ROM-only drives will NOT be listed.
WARNING --- You also must eject any inserted medium to list the drive.

Vendor: MATSHITA
Model: DVD-R UJ-868
Firmware: KB19
RPC-1 (region free)

Important RPC1 basics:
When your drive is running in RPC1 mode, you need a software tool to handle the region changes. Under MacOS use Region X. Without this tool you still can not change the regions as you like.

Credits:
Credits go to ben11 for the simple_flash and matshita_memory (dump) tools, the obfuscate source code, the RPC1 patch and all the firmwares released previously.
Last edited by ala42 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 37 times in total.
LiteOn/Benq/LG/NEC/Pioneer/Samsung/Toshiba stuff: MediaCodeSpeedEdit V 1.2.0.10, released October 3rd 2011
ala42
Firmware Patcher

Re: (NEW) Matshita Patched Firmware Thread

Postby Onitake on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:59 pm

many thanks for this release!

i kind of expected a rpc-1 firmware after apple released an update for the uj-868, but wow, that was quick!

and except for some trouble with vlc, it looks like it's working perfectly.

keep up the good work! :mrgreen: =D>
Onitake

Postby pathfinderti on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:32 pm

Dear Puma,

It was my Birthday on the 12th when this RPC _ 1 Patch was released for the UJ _ 868 on my MBPro, it worked an absolute treat and I could of not wished for a better Birthday Present, a sincere thanks of gratitude to all those concerned with what they been achieved in relation to this particular drive. 8-)

Kindest Regards from Oz ( The Land Down Under ) :mrgreen:

pathfinderti :lol:
pathfinderti
Rookie

Postby cvs on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Very cool! Great work as usual ala42! =D>

Looking forward for a Windoze version :D
cvs
Posting Wizard

Postby neonstz on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:31 pm

I can test the UJ-857E ZF1E firmware asap.
neonstz

Postby iDrops on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Worked like a charm! Thanks! =D>
iDrops

Postby ala42 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:24 am

cvs wrote:Very cool! Great work as usual ala42! =D>

I have ported the dumper to use fPLScsi a while ago, tested on Windows. The flasher is ported, too, but not tested yet. Which firmware RPC1 firmware do you want to test ?
LiteOn/Benq/LG/NEC/Pioneer/Samsung/Toshiba stuff: MediaCodeSpeedEdit V 1.2.0.10, released October 3rd 2011
ala42
Firmware Patcher

Postby neonstz on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:31 am

I've just tested the UJ-857E ZF1E firmware, and it works fine. Thanks a lot!
neonstz

Postby siobhanellis on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:48 am

I'm willing to test on a UJ-875S.

I have a broken one that will no longer write, so I can afford to take a risk (I have another to replace it)
siobhanellis

Postby gumblecosby on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:05 am

Im can test UJ867A
KK08
gumblecosby

Postby Puma on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:36 am

pathfinderti wrote:Dear Puma,

It was my Birthday on the 12th when this RPC _ 1 Patch was released for the UJ _ 868 on my MBPro, it worked an absolute treat and I could of not wished for a better Birthday Present, a sincere thanks of gratitude to all those concerned with what they been achieved in relation to this particular drive. 8-)

Kindest Regards from Oz ( The Land Down Under ) :mrgreen:

pathfinderti :lol:

thanks for that, but its ala42 who is the patcher, not me, i'm just the administrator, none of us here at RPC1 expected any new patched releases, so thanks go to ala42
Puma
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cvs on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:40 pm

ala42 wrote:
cvs wrote:Very cool! Great work as usual ala42! =D>

I have ported the dumper to use fPLScsi a while ago, tested on Windows. The flasher is ported, too, but not tested yet. Which firmware RPC1 firmware do you want to test ?

Well I've got quite a few MATSHITA drives available: UJ-830, UJ-840D, UJ-842S, UJ-85JS, UJ-845S, UJ-850S, UJ-860H, UJ-861H, UJ-880AS. For most of them if not all there are windows firmwares available (but not necessarily from the correct OEM). Some of them are HP OEMs (and HP has hardly released any firmware updates for them) but for most of these models there are firmwares out from other OEMs (notably SONY or Toshiba). Is your flasher able to flash say a SONY OEM firmware to a HP OEM drive? Also converting from a B or D drive to an S would be nice if possible due to availability of firmwares and gaining other features such as DVD-RAM ... I've also got some partially faulty units (UJ-842, 850, 860 & 861 I think) which I could use as 'no risk' flashing guinea pigs in the first instance ...

If you want I can make dumps of all of these drives.

Finally I've collected quite a few Matshita firmwares (all windows ones) over the time, ranging from UJ-811 up to the latest Blu-ray units. These could be useful to someone, so I've zipped them all up (~84MB in size) and uploaded them on Rapidshare. I have posted them in the "New Matshita/Toshiba Firmware Releases" thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43768
cvs
Posting Wizard

Postby ala42 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:47 pm

cvs wrote:Is your flasher able to flash say a SONY OEM firmware to a HP OEM drive? Also converting from a B or D drive to an S would be nice if possible due to availability of firmwares and gaining other features such as DVD-RAM ...
The flasher is a safety improved version of ben11's simple_flash as posted above, version check can be disabled.
The Question is if the firmware permits the crossflashes or refuses the firmwares. If you tell me available firmwares for the same hardware, I can could compare the internal firmware headers to check for differences.
I've also got some partially faulty units (UJ-842, 850, 860 & 861 I think) which I could use as 'no risk' flashing guinea pigs in the first instance ...

Start with a dump of one of the defect drives, so we can test the simple_flash windows port. We could also test crossflashing on one of the defective drives.
Dumps are always welcome. I will need some dumps of released windows firmwares packages to test the extraction from the package. Apple packages can already be extracted.
ala42
Firmware Patcher

Postby rdegraaf on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:49 pm

I volunteer to test a patch for MATSHITADVD-R UJ867A KK08

Best,

Rob
rdegraaf

Postby pathfinderti on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:20 pm

Sorry ala42 , I did actually say to all those concerned nevertheless the excitement of finally patching my MBPro was obviously too much for me.

So a huge sincere thankyou to the man ala42 for his continuing unrelentless quest to make all of these drives Region Free. =D>

Cheers

pathfinderti ( I come from The Land Down Under ) :wink:
pathfinderti
Rookie

Postby rdegraaf on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:23 am

Hi all,

I can confirm that the patch UJ-867_KK08_RPC1.zip works for:
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ867A
Firmware revision: KK08

After flashing the DVD drive, one can change the counter back to 5 using Region X.

Recipe:
- unpack MatshitaFlasher.zip
- unpack UJ-867_KK08_RPC1.zip
- drag-n-drop UJ-867_KK08_RPC1.dat onto MatshitaFlasher app
- a terminal window will open, showing details what it will flash
- confirm by typing 'y' and wait until terminal self closes.
- no reboot required.
- download/install Region X from link above
- start Region X, so you can change the Region and counter

note: make sure no other .dat files are present in the folder you run the flash application.

Tested on Snow Leopard 10.6.2

Thanks to ala42 for his help.

Best,

Rob
rdegraaf

Postby monkdaddy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:26 am

I have a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868 KA14

I was wondering if there is a firmware revision for me?

and if there is, are there any tips/suggestions for a slow person like myself?
monkdaddy

Postby pathfinderti on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 am

monkdaddy wrote:I have a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868 KA14

I was wondering if there is a firmware revision for me?

and if there is, are there any tips/suggestions for a slow person like myself?

Hi there monkdaddy,

I had exactly the same Firmware, this is what I did first in step form:

1._ IMHO to play safe was to: upgrade the KA14 to KB19 by dragging the new Firmware onto the Flasher, when completely finished do step 2.

2. _ Drag the RPC_1 Patch onto the flashing tool to enable RPC _ 1 performance.

The instructions are clear on the Terminal Pop Up window, just let it do it's thing without interruption for each step individually, it's as simple as that.

ala42 will pick me up on anything that's not correct but that's how I did it.

Cheers

pathfinderti
pathfinderti
Rookie

Postby ala42 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:49 am

Step 1.) is not needed, you can directly flash the RPC1 version.
ala42
Firmware Patcher

Postby wedgedkc on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Can I make my UJ-867 with HA13 firmware rpc1? Should I flash with the KK08 firmware?
wedgedkc

Postby chef on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:55 pm

wedgedkc wrote:Can I make my UJ-867 with HA13 firmware rpc1? Should I flash with the KK08 firmware?

Nope, too risky I think.
.:The rpc1.org FAQ:. Please read & follow our firmware request rules precisely! .:The DiscInfo tool:.
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/
chef
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ala42 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:41 pm

IIRC I already have a HA13 dump, so an RPC1 patch could be build. Have to check that.
ala42
Firmware Patcher

Postby wedgedkc on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:31 pm

ala42 wrote:IIRC I already have a HA13 dump, so an RPC1 patch could be build. Have to check that.

That would be great!
wedgedkc

Postby chiark on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:17 pm

Thanks for this! I'm using a UJ-857E in my old macbook pro running snow leopard, and it seems to work perfectly...
I was having troubles with VLC (like the poster above), and found that reflashing the "standard" firmware caused everything to work.

Solution: clear ~/.dvdcss directory, and remove ~/Library/Preferences/VLC

Works fine now, which means fairmount works once again :D

I hope this helps someone else.
chiark

Postby cvs on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:46 pm

ala42 wrote:
cvs wrote:Is your flasher able to flash say a SONY OEM firmware to a HP OEM drive? Also converting from a B or D drive to an S would be nice if possible due to availability of firmwares and gaining other features such as DVD-RAM ...
The flasher is a safety improved version of ben11's simple_flash as posted above, version check can be disabled.
The Question is if the firmware permits the crossflashes or refuses the firmwares. If you tell me available firmwares for the same hardware, I can could compare the internal firmware headers to check for differences.
I've also got some partially faulty units (UJ-842, 850, 860 & 861 I think) which I could use as 'no risk' flashing guinea pigs in the first instance ...

Start with a dump of one of the defect drives, so we can test the simple_flash windows port. We could also test crossflashing on one of the defective drives.
Dumps are always welcome. I will need some dumps of released windows firmwares packages to test the extraction from the package. Apple packages can already be extracted.

Great! =D> Thank you very much! I've located one of the defective drives. Its a UJ-820B drive according to the label (although the actual firmware on it is the UJ-820D). There are several firmwares available in the RPC1 database (and in the Matshita collection I uploaded in the firmware announcement thread) for this drive both in its B and S flavour:

UJ-820B_1.01 (Sony)_&_1.02 (NEC).zip
UJ-820S_1.00_AL (Asus).zip
UJ-820S_1.00_PN2.zip
UJ-820S_1003_PN2.zip

The drive I've got identifies itself as a UJ-820D FW1.01. I would have added a DVDinfo screenshot but I can't find any way to attach a picture...

If you can let me have a copy of the windows dumper I'll dump the firmware currently on the drive and let you have it.

I'll also dump the firmwares of all the other Matshita drives I've got.
Last edited by cvs on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cvs
Posting Wizard

Next

Return to Macintosh Specific Section