The Firmware Page

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:49 pm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:28 am 

Hi

I've been following the RPC2 Autoreset forums for a while since I got my Macbook pro last year with a GSA-S10N in it.

I finally decided to do something about it after my count got down to one more change left. I installed vista under bootcamp, dowloaded MCSE, flashed the firmware to make it RPC2-autoreset, then flashed the drive.

Now here is where I get confused. The drive flashing initially didn't seem to have worked. Back in Mac OS X I got some message saying. "There was a problem changing the drive region error: 70001

I did some searching and found this thread on a macosxhints forum http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=52877 If you read the second to last post it seems that the problem was having a disc that could accept two regions. The disc I was using was able to accept regions 1 and 3 (although ti only said region 1 on the disc cover) I found a disc with one region (a region 3 disc I got in Taiwan) and hey presto. I was able to change the region.

Then I tried the original region 1 and 3 disc I had tried to use and it worked (because it accepted region 3). Then I tried a region 4 disc and as expected, I couldn't play it because I had used my last region change.

I rebooted my macbook. Tried the region 3 disc again and got the message that I had one more change left.

So I assume that RPC2 autoreset is working,

My confusion stems from thinking that I would get the original number of changes back, not the 1 change left that I had when I flashed the firmware.

I'm glad that I can have that one change remaining each time I reboot, but the prob with the apple firmware is that I have to use a disc with only 1 region on it, and that is not always going to be possible.

So, in short. Am I correct in assuming that the RPC2 Autoreset worked or should I have 4 changes remaining each time I reboot.

Thanks in advance
M

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

airspeed wrote:
My confusion stems from thinking that I would get the original number of changes back, not the 1 change left that I had when I flashed the firmware.

I'm glad that I can have that one change remaining each time I reboot, but the prob with the apple firmware is that I have to use a disc with only 1 region on it, and that is not always going to be possible.

So, in short. Am I correct in assuming that the RPC2 Autoreset worked or should I have 4 changes remaining each time I reboot.

Thanks in advance
M

This thought is not correct. It will be reset to the state (remaining changes) before flashing with the autoreset firmware.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:39 pm 

Thanks for the quick response, and putting me straight on this point. It's still good to have a drive that now at least resets to one change each time I reboot.

I've also checked through most of my disks and it seems most only have one zone on them, so I won't have to worry too much about the funny 70001 error. Also the default zone that it resets to on reboot is the zone I have most disks of anyway.

I don't suppose there is any way that Apple can reset the changes back to 5?

Cheers
M
:D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
I don't suppose there is any way that Apple can reset the changes back to 5?

Apple can reset it, but they would not offer this service to you

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, that is called VENDOR RESET but not practized.........

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/