The Firmware Page

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:38 am 
Master Poster

sn? wrote:
... is there a difference between the chipset in the enclosure? One has an Oxford and the other Genisis. The Oxford is about $40 more and they said it was better...

I'd avoid FireWire chips from Genesys Logic, they're much slower than Oxford or Prolific. Best bridge firmware update/config. support comes from Oxford.

"$40 more" seems a bit much (I've seen much lesser diffs), but I'd surely go for the Oxford.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:47 am 
Fresh meat

Thanks Mike very helpful info. Yeah, I am not sure why it is so much more, but I am in Europe which is a Service Desert. They do not know about making specials or deals here...at least in Germany :roll:

Best,
sn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:41 pm 
Master Poster

sn? wrote:
... Yeah, I am not sure why it is so much more, but I am in Europe which is a Service Desert. They do not know about making specials or deals here...at least in Germany ...

In that case go to http://www.reichelt.de and search for "EXTERN 5,25 FW".

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:56 pm 
Rookie

I've been through dozens of posts with workarounds and changes to what presumably was "THE" way to flash it ( http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=123415#123415). I have also searched all over for the two firmware files necessary to perform this:

R7100007.116 (kernel)
R7100107.118 (firmware)

I have been to the pages of XVI, dhc014, macetvideo.com, codeguys, digi, nil, pioneerdvd.rpc1.org, among others to try and locate these files and make some kind of sense of this all.

Can someone please post one set of directions on how to flash this drive, along with direct download links to these firmwares? Or different ones if these aren't the correct ones?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:16 pm 
Past Moderator

I can't conceive that you actually looked in all of those places and couldn't find the firmware and kernels. All of >NIL:'s releases of the firmware include the kernel! It doesn't have to be version 1.16. All kernel versions since 0.09 are the same. Ah! It appears that 1.18 is temporarily hard to find... Okay... Go to Flash's Repository and get it.

Locate any of the threads in this section concerning FlashIt. This will supply you with a script that will automate the whole thing! Just stick the Firmware and Kernel files into the folder and double-click FlashIt.command.

-- There are 10 kinds of people in this world

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:11 am 
Rookie

Actually, I have looked in those places and haven't found the 2 files I named previously. I have Flashit, but not those files. When I download from the various sites the kernel & firmware files that are supposed to be for the 106D, they are not the same files mentioned (R7100007.116 and
R7100107.118). They are totally different numbers.

The link you just provided is for the 107D, not 106D. I checked Nil's site (http://nil.rpc1.org/) and there's nothing there. If there's another site, please let me know.

I'm not a moron or anything, but I'm just trying to sort out the misinformation from the information so I don't [*Profanity*] up my drive. I don't expect it to be in one nice, neat package with a DOWNLOAD THIS link (though that would be nice), just put the right pieces together.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:48 am 
Past Moderator

The filenames you're requesting are those for the DVR-107D, not the DVR-106D. This is what caused me to think you were asking about 107D firmware.

If you go to the same site, and download the newest package for the DVR-106D (1.08), you will find it contains both Firmware (R6100106.108) and Kernel (R6100006.105) files. These files will update an Apple OEM 106D to a true Pioneer 106D. Remember though; There is no way currently to flash back to Apple's OEM firmware.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:05 pm 
Rookie

Aha . . no wonder . . . There was another posting that said those were the two files to find . . .

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:55 am 

I have a PowerMac biG5.
I once applied both the 1.08, then the 1.07 and each time got these "DVD drive frozen" bug and I thought I'd revert to the factory firmware but after a few weeks I had to DivX-ise a Region1 DVD so I re-applied v1.07 as I found it here and it now works perfectly...

I still cannot understand why it didn't work like this at first ?!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:50 pm 
Fresh meat

Just wanted to say thanks to _Mike_, Silent Buddah & LasVegas for there help in choosing a burner...My birthday DVR-108 is on its way to me and a FireWire housing with an Oxford chipset :wink: :D

Best,
sn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:50 pm 
Rookie

Hello LasVegas,

Here is another question for you. As you might remember I was able to flash my 106D drive with 1.08, and all was great. No problems what so ever. Then I had some system problems and I had to erase the drive and reinstall the system. All seemed to be ok until I started using the optical drive. Once in a while it will not allow me to eject the disk so I have to restart the cpu. In some occasions when using the DVD Player it will cause a system crash, more specifically I pause the movie and after a couple of minutes I try to play it and there is the system crash. Something about System Falliusre: CPU=1; code=00000001 (Corrupt stack)

I have tried re-flashing the drive but that did not solve the problem. Do you have any ideas as to what might case this weird behavior? Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:53 am 
Posting Wizard

Try to repair permissions and also repair disk. Do all this from your system install disc under disk utilities. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:15 pm 
Rookie

Hello g4cube,

Thanks for the tip. I tried it, and

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:11 am 
Professional Poster

I wish an admin would put a warning up about the 106 on the FP of this thread - with anything other than the Apple firmware it is notoriously unreliable.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:07 am 
Master Poster

thedoc1111 wrote:
... warning up about the 106 on the FP of this thread - with anything other than the Apple firmware it is notoriously unreliable.

??? What do you mean? Maybe, I was just lucky, but I've been using a Pio 106 since it came out. Using only non-Apple firmware it's been working great so far (in ext. FW case) with a 9600 and a B&W. I just passed it over to a friend, who is happily using it with his dual MDD and Pismo.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:29 pm 
Rookie

...but the last six pages have really thrown me as to what I should do. By what I see I should wait : )

The drive I'd like to 'firm-update' is a Pioneer 104 superdrive quite tightly packed into an iMac running Panther 10.3.5. Xvi was a godsend more than two years ago when I wanted to dezone my drive, but now that I've filled three hard disks I'd like to start using RW media.

Here's the thing though: my drive won't write to RW media, and won't see it either. I tried the Apple upgrade - it wouldn't go as the existing firmware wasn't 'official'. I then grabbed the OS 9 version of the A227 firmware included with the 'de-zoner' firmware (just in case I need to send the machine in for repairs, it says : ) but something tells me that this A227 firmware was still in some way different from the 'official' apple version. I tried to downgrade to the last 'official' firmware but no dice - I got an error and my (undetected by the system) drive had the scary '0000' firmware version until I ran xvi's A227 patch again. So now my drive is reading and writing just as before, but still not to RW disks and now I can't retrograde.

So, for the next step - I tried all the 104 solutions here but I'm getting that 'kernel thing' so I'm leaving it for now. Now if I understand correctly, the DVDflash utility won't work for any OS X above 10.3.3, and I need yet another kernel file (which I could not find), and I must use your (Las Vegas) command line instructions to apply the firmware?

I would just like to be completely sure of what I'm doing before I go any further - should I wait for a later 'cleaner' method, or is there some reading I should do? Clear instructions would be great as I think I've already edged a bit into the 'risk' zone already without perhaps even knowing about it. So much to learn.

Thanks in advance for any advice or instructions, and thanks already for your work on firmware and this site.

See you soon, take care,

Josefu.

(added after night's sleep, clear head, coffee)

Luckily I found the French pages this morning - and found that the Pioneer 104 firmware upgrade mentioned here is NOT for the iMac and G4 superdrive. I really hope the A227 firmware I used was the 'right' one. I'm lucky to have a working, albeit pcp 2 drive. Which won't read RW media.

The French article metions that the iMac superdrive is "brid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:39 am 
Rookie

LOL I am relieved but in a world of confusion. I just booted in OS 9 to try (once again) xvi's X227 patch - it worked. I really don't know what happened but if someone has the answer, that information may later be of use to someone. Especially to those who one day will try to 'upgrade' their older macs.

Sorry for jumping in here with all my 'happenings' and resulting questions.

This reduces my above blather to one question: is it safe, for the iMac FP Pioneer 104 superdrive, to use the 1.40 firmware (for twice the speed)?

One-word replies are welcome : )

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:37 pm 
Professional Poster

_Mike_ wrote:
thedoc1111 wrote:
... warning up about the 106 on the FP of this thread - with anything other than the Apple firmware it is notoriously unreliable.

??? What do you mean? Maybe, I was just lucky, but I've been using a Pio 106 since it came out. Using only non-Apple firmware it's been working great so far (in ext. FW case) with a 9600 and a B&W. I just passed it over to a friend, who is happily using it with his dual MDD and Pismo.

Mike

In a FW Case it is fine - but attaching it to the ATA Bus (like most Pio's will be) causes loads of disk-freezing issues.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:14 pm 
Past Moderator

thedoc1111 wrote:
In a FW Case it is fine - but attaching it to the ATA Bus (like most Pio's will be) causes loads of disk-freezing issues.

I have not experienced this in any G3's or G4's with the Pioneer-106D drives. G5's tend to have some problems though. I haven't narrowed down why though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:01 pm 
Rookie

Please excuse the obvious ignorance in my earlier posts, I am new to burning DVD media. I have done an extensive search here and the web, but have found few other users with the same problem as I. I would much appreciate any input and any help.

Since my earlier posts I have tried the DVD-RW discs I had burned in a G4 iBook (which I think has the 107 drive)... and it read them perfectly. Meaning that my 104 drive can write to RW DVD's but... can't read them?

Has anyone heard of this problem elsewhere - and would it have something to do with the X227 firmware update? Should I continue forward to the 1.40 firmware update? For the latter, I am still not sure if it is destined for or has been tested on an iMac flatpanel pioneer RW-104 superdrive. My many questions have now been reduced to these.

Thank you,

Josefu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:53 am 

:?: Hi Las Vegas,

I guess I am like an earlier poster. I truly appreciate what you and others have done for us mere mortals, but I still feel something is missing in terms of explaining what to do.

For example, I have a Pioneer DVR-103 (Apple OEM) SuperDrive in my Quicksilver G4/867 that has been flashed to firmware version 1.90 using the updater Apple provided. I would like to update the drive to version 2.00 as I have had problems writing CD-RWs, and that update allegedly makes some improvements in that area. I have been able to download the new firmware file (R3100101.200), and FlashIt Kit 2.0, but for the life of me, I have not been able to find a kernal file for that drive. You mentioned that all of >NIL:'s releases of firmware contain a kernal, but my downloads of his releases for the DVR-103 do not contain a kernal file. And neither do my downloads of files from Flash's repository. Are they invisible and have to be made visible?

Elsewhere either you or one of the other gurus said that flashing OEM drives requires the kernal file in order for Mac OSX to happily recognize the drive. Consequently, I am loathe to try upgrade my drive until I can either find the kernal file for a DVR-103 or else be informed by someone knowledgeable that the DVR-103 for some reason does not need a kernal file. I guess a third possibility is that a kernal for another drive such as a DVR-104 or DVR-105 can safely serve as a substitute, but again, I need an authority to say that such is the case.

I hope the problem is clear. One (hopefully just one) component or piece of information relevant to upgrading the DVR-103 appears to be missing. DVRFlash 2.0 and FlashIt Kit 2.0 purportedly make an upgrade feasible, but I would love to know how to get past this one hurdle in order to do it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:31 am 
Past Moderator

You are absolutely right. There is no kernel with version 2.00 of the Pioneer 103 firmware. The 103 was actually the first drive I patched and did about the worse faux pas I could have and flashed my Apple OEM 103 on a PC with just the firmware (No Kernel!). Guess what... It worked. I guess Apple didn't change the kernel from the Pioneer version to the degree that later kernels were.

I just flashed it back to 1.90 Apple firmware the other day. It still works.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:17 am 

The drive on my G5 has become really noisy when I insert a DVD or CD.

I used the FlashIt Kit on my Mac G5 PIONEER DVR-107D with v1.18 firmware. It looks like it worked in converting to RPC1.

Any ideas what the problem could be?Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:49 am 
Past Administrator

Any drive is noisier when it is reading faster. The patched firmware removes the rip-lock so the drive is probably reading at full-speed now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:06 am 

Thanks for the reply

Will it burnout if it's reading at a faster rate all the time? Also is there a reason Pioneer use a rip-lock? Does it have anything to do with protecting the drive?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next