The Firmware Page

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:55 am

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:55 pm 
Rookie

It has been suggested in some other threads that the firmware in my drive may have been modified as the drive is meant to work in a blu-ray changer. I'm running under Linux and was not able to use the regular tools but I believe i have found the firmware see...
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48569

What I would greatly appreciate now is the original firmware matching

MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ-225S Q11007/27/07ZF2Q

for comparison to see if there really are any hidden modifications. This could be a windows exe or just the firmware file on its own, either would be appreciated. I've found the Q111 and Q113 firmwares but no luck find the Q110 firmware yet.

I haven't been able to get a proper output from DISCINFO hopefully the above is sufficient for the purpose of identification of the original firmware. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 am 
Administrator
Administrator

bugduster wrote:
It has been suggested in some other threads that the firmware in my drive may have been modified as the drive is meant to work in a blu-ray changer. I'm running under Linux and was not able to use the regular tools but I believe i have found the firmware see...
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48569

What I would greatly appreciate now is the original firmware matching

MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ-225S Q11007/27/07ZF2Q

for comparison to see if there really are any hidden modifications. This could be a windows exe or just the firmware file on its own, either would be appreciated. I've found the Q111 and Q113 firmwares but no luck find the Q110 firmware yet.

I haven't been able to get a proper output from DISCINFO hopefully the above is sufficient for the purpose of identification of the original firmware. Thanks.

What are you talking about??
Who did suggest that???

It sounds more like a little paranoia from you.
Nothing has changed on your drive! It's clearly impossible!

IF anything had changed to the firmware on your drive then it wouldnt work anymore.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:51 am 
Rookie

chef wrote:
What are you talking about??
Who did suggest that???

The suggestion was made by those who own other PowerFile changers similar to the one that I have (also made by PowerFile) and have tried to swap out the internal drive that ships with the unit for off the shelf models found in other PowerFile changers that should have worked. One potential reason given was that the internal drives may ship with a modified firmware for any number of reasons e.g. prevent the use of inexpensive off the shelf replacement drives or simply just for compatibility with the changer mechanism. It could just be one user got a bad drive and the question got raised a few times.

chef wrote:
It sounds more like a little paranoia from you.
Nothing has changed on your drive! It's clearly impossible!

IF anything had changed to the firmware on your drive then it wouldnt work anymore.

No one is suggesting it suddenly changed, the question is did the blu-ray changer manufacturer (PowerFile) modify the firmware on the internal drive for some reason before shipping it. Even if this is unlikely it would be useful to prove the point and I can only do this easily with an original version of the same firmware from a standard off the shelf drive i.e. not one that ships with a changer (probably not a problem as very few people have these changers). As mentioned elsewhere in the forum it is not a requirement to modify the reported firmware version when changing the firmware code. It is also entirely within the realm of possibility that PowerFile could do this, as they undoubtedly created a custom firmware for the changer mechanism, so modifying the internal drives they ship to interact with the changers firmware in some way may have been of benefit to them either financially or from a functional view point. At any rate it wont hurt for me to check as if the changer gets broken for any reason it could be impossible to repair as PowerFile are out of business and the only agents were abroad meaning very expensive shipping charges and problems with customs fees.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It is just perfectly normal that the manufacturer of the "changer unit" has to modify the drive and unit firmware to allow the changer to be used properly ...

What you are saying is that you have another drive, not coming with the changer itself, and want to use the special firmware with this drive to make the changer operable?
So far I thought you only think there is something that denies the changer properly working under w7...

Either way, I doubt you can a tool anywhere that allows you to extract the firmware from your matshita drive.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:41 pm 
Rookie

That's a shame I would still appreciate just a raw memory dump via (MatshitaWinDump 1.02 or the equivalent mac version) from another drive running that firmware if available.