The Firmware Page

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48 pm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:24 pm 
Rookie

Hi,

I'm lookin for a official firmware version KA19 for my HL-DT-ST GA11N DVD Imac drive.
I managed to [*Profanity*] the backup I made with Flasher, so now I have the A102 version, which I don't want
(see DVD Info X3)
I know there are many Mac users here with that drive and version. Can someone
extract the firmware from their Mac with Flasher?
It would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Mic.

Vendor: HL-DT-ST
Model: DVD+-RW GA11N
Firmware: A102
Status RPC-2 (region locked)
Region: 2
Changes left: 4 Vendor resets left: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:52 pm 
Posting Wizard

Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?c8q30q6wd3a6l7q

In case you're not aware, the KA19 firmware (internal date: 010909) is 6 months older than the DELL A102 one (internal date: 061609) ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:13 am 
Rookie

Hi cvs,

Sorry, but this is the GA10N firmware. My drive is a GA11N.

Thing is I started to change the firmware because my drive won't read DL DVD's (which I found out only two years after
buying my Imac) The 102 firmware is indeed newer but won't eject the DVD. So now I have two problems.
I really like to go back to the official KA19 version to solve at least one of the problems.
The other problem is probably a defect laser or something and will cost me some 200 euro's, anyway.
After I put the 102 version in and found out it didn't do what I wanted It appeared that my ripped KA19 backup was corrupt.
So....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:11 am 
Rookie

Hi cvs,

This is weird. I flashed the KA19 firmware yesterday and after a reboot the drive came back as a GA10N.
Today I started my Imac and the systeminfo suddenly decides that the drive is a GA11N after all:

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA11N:

Firmware-revisie: KA19
Verbindingstype: ATAPI
Ondersteuning voor branden: Ja (door Apple geleverde schijfeenheid)
Cache: 2048 KB
Leest dvd's: Ja
Cd's schrijven: -R, -RW
Dvd's schrijven: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Schrijfmethoden: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

I swear I wasn't loaded yesterday ;-)
Anyway. Now I'm back to basic, with a drive that won't read DL video DVD's but does eject them eventually.
So I like to thank you for your swift reaction on my request. And thanks to the rpc1 forum for maintaining this good board.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

MicImac wrote:
Anyway. Now I'm back to basic, with a drive that won't read DL video DVD's but does eject them eventually.
So I like to thank you for your swift reaction on my request. And thanks to the rpc1 forum for maintaining this good board.

What media did you try with?

Can you give some info about it?

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:41 am 
Posting Wizard

MicImac wrote:
Hi cvs,

This is weird. I flashed the KA19 firmware yesterday and after a reboot the drive came back as a GA10N.
Today I started my Imac and the systeminfo suddenly decides that the drive is a GA11N after all:

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA11N:

Firmware-revisie: KA19
Verbindingstype: ATAPI
Ondersteuning voor branden: Ja (door Apple geleverde schijfeenheid)
Cache: 2048 KB
Leest dvd's: Ja
Cd's schrijven: -R, -RW
Dvd's schrijven: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Schrijfmethoden: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

I swear I wasn't loaded yesterday ;-)

Always the good old shut down issue :wink: ...

After you flash a firmware using the Renesas Flasher, you need to do a full shut down (so that the power is cut off from the drive and the drive can reflash itself correctly) ... because you've done just a reboot, your drive ended up in its 'safe mode' ... that's why it identified as GA10N COR0 or something similar (GA11N drives are in fact OEM rebadges of the GA10N - identical in hardware but with OEM customised firmwares - and both use the same core as GA10N drives) ... once you did a proper power cycle, everything went back to normal (the drive reflashed itself internally and started in normal operating mode identifying as a GA11N as it should ... btw, rest assured that the firmware I provided is a proper GA11N firmware not a GA10N firmware) ...

So what you experienced is perfectly normal ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:21 pm 
Rookie

chef wrote:
MicImac wrote:

What media did you try with?

Can you give some info about it?

Hi,

I did some tests and now I realize that the drive must have died slowly on me. It won't read any of the two OSX DVD's anymore (install and applications). It spits them out after some time of rattling noise. Starting up with the install disk won't help, it doesn't see it with the alt key pressed. Apart from that for example the official Harry Potter disk (sorry, have it here now) shows the same behavior.

Mic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:08 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Problematic discs can have some weird copy protections, like your Harry Potter one.
Apart from that, usually the lens/head has dirted over time which prevents the drive from recognizing and reading some media.

What about CD media??

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:20 pm 
Rookie

hi,

CD's and single layer DVD's are no problem. Already tried a cleaning disk (with brushes) but it didn't help.
I guess I'll buy a replacement drive at mcetech.com or macsales or something and give it a try.
Repair at the carecentre cost 200 euro. Research costs at apple are 79 euros, which is by the way also the price of
an apple external DVD drive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I think a cleaning disc wont help in such a case.

Either the drive is a real bad reader or the media you have tried with is not very well pressed/dirted in a way.

For proper cleaning you should use a q-tip and Isopropanol.
BUT that includes opening the drive up and wasting warranty.