The Firmware Page

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:59 pm


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:39 am
Posts: 23720
Location: .de #...still playing LLAMATRON 2112!
BaffledMacUser wrote:

I'll also be writing to Apple to protest at this nonsense, and suggest that others do the same.


Apple's stated desire is for groovy globalised customers - but anyone who travels or who has friends around the world is at a disadvantage with this silly region coding. At least, any *Mac* user is.


Its not APPLEs fault. It is standard for DVD since 2001.

_________________
.:The rpc1.org FAQ:. Please read & follow our firmware request rules precisely! .:The DiscInfo tool:.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:11 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am
Posts: 25
As for Apple taking notice - I think they may. People always think that 'letters to the editor' are pointless rants, but newspaper editors take a lot of notice of these letters.

If users actually care enough to write to Apple, not in form letters but in individual letters composed by themselves, I strongly suspect that Apple will take notice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:02 pm
Posts: 10125
Location: UK
BaffledMacUser wrote:
As for Apple taking notice - I think they may. People always think that 'letters to the editor' are pointless rants, but newspaper editors take a lot of notice of these letters.

If users actually care enough to write to Apple, not in form letters but in individual letters composed by themselves, I strongly suspect that Apple will take notice.


you miss the point, Apple cannot do anything about this, its not them setting the rules on region coding

_________________
Read The FAQImageFirmware Request RulesImage
MCSE Thread Utilities


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:33 am 
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:39 am
Posts: 23720
Location: .de #...still playing LLAMATRON 2112!
Exactly, and as I said before. It is world wide standard and law since 2001!

Ask the chinese people how they cheat on that.

_________________
.:The rpc1.org FAQ:. Please read & follow our firmware request rules precisely! .:The DiscInfo tool:.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:50 am 
Fresh meat

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 12
BaffledMacUser wrote:
I tried the VLC business, but no, it doesn't work for me, unfortunately.


What are you doing to make you say it doesn't work ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:22 am 
Posting Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 18, 2002 9:27 pm
Posts: 967
Location: Taiwan
[_chef_] wrote:
Ask the chinese people how they cheat on that.


I've asked the locals the same question about that. They just tell me "don't ask and be happy with what corners you can cut to make it work ;) " haha~~ **shrugs**

_________________
^o^


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:21 am 
Junior Member

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am
Posts: 25
jyavenard asks what I'm doing to say VLC doesn't work. I put in a DVD, the "change region" dialogue comes up, I open VLC, it brings up an error message, end of story.


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:16 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am
Posts: 25
If anyone spots a firmware upgrade for this DVD-RW (HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N) please post here. I'd be very grateful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:02 pm
Posts: 10125
Location: UK
BaffledMacUser wrote:
If anyone spots a firmware upgrade for this DVD-RW (HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N) please post here. I'd be very grateful.


it will be posted in the LG new release thread if there is

_________________
Read The FAQImageFirmware Request RulesImage
MCSE Thread Utilities


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:06 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am
Posts: 25
Puma, could you possibly post a link to the LG new release thread, as I can't find it?

And what will be the name of the upgraded firmware? When I look at the name of my DVD-RW, it just seems as if someone's spat out a spoonful of alphabet soup. I don't know which is the name of the drive, which the firmware version, which a description of what they're, umm, describing...


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:02 pm
Posts: 10125
Location: UK
BaffledMacUser wrote:
Puma, could you possibly post a link to the LG new release thread, as I can't find it?

And what will be the name of the upgraded firmware? When I look at the name of my DVD-RW, it just seems as if someone's spat out a spoonful of alphabet soup. I don't know which is the name of the drive, which the firmware version, which a description of what they're, umm, describing...


firmware will be listed as GSA-S10N, along with any OEM info, if its from an oem, than LG

The LG new Firmware Release Section is below

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=42502

_________________
Read The FAQImageFirmware Request RulesImage
MCSE Thread Utilities


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:22 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am
Posts: 25
Thanks, Puma


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:15 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am
Posts: 25
Thought I found it, but it turns out I have to wait for a firmware upgrade for the BP10 version of the current firmware.


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:19 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:02 pm
Posts: 10125
Location: UK
BaffledMacUser wrote:
Thought I found it, but it turns out I have to wait for a firmware upgrade for the BP10 version of the current firmware.


the only one is the DELL oem firmware A101, which can have a RPC2 autorest patch applied to it, but none for mac

_________________
Read The FAQImageFirmware Request RulesImage
MCSE Thread Utilities


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:22 pm 
Firmware Patcher
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:18 am
Posts: 993
Location: Germany
Also it is unknown if a drive with BP10 survives flashing with A101 or an apple APxx firmware.

_________________
LiteOn/Benq/LG/NEC/Pioneer/Samsung/Toshiba stuff: MediaCodeSpeedEdit V 1.2.0.10, released October 3rd 2011


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:02 pm
Posts: 10125
Location: UK
AP12 Apple Firmware, allows flashing of Drives with APXX firmware

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=212479#212479

_________________
Read The FAQImageFirmware Request RulesImage
MCSE Thread Utilities


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:39 pm 
Fresh meat

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 12
BaffledMacUser wrote:
jyavenard asks what I'm doing to say VLC doesn't work. I put in a DVD, the "change region" dialogue comes up, I open VLC, it brings up an error message, end of story.


Ok, I see what's wrong.
Go into the System Preferences -> CD & DVDs. Change the "When you insert a DVD" to Ignore.

Now you can start VLC.

In any case, a RPC2 solution seems to now be available


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:57 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am
Posts: 25
No, they're set to ignore already.

And there isn't an RPC solution available yet for the BP10 version of the firmware, as far as I know...


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:50 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:02 pm
Posts: 10125
Location: UK
Quote:
And there isn't an RPC solution available yet for the BP10 version of the firmware, as far as I know...


correct

_________________
Read The FAQImageFirmware Request RulesImage
MCSE Thread Utilities


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:52 pm 
New Member

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:20 pm
Posts: 1
HI.
Any RPC news on (HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N)'s BP10 revision yet?

I didn't set any region on my new MacBook's yet.

VLC doesn't seem like a viable option to circumvent the region lock:
Quote:
vcd: search for kIOCDMediaClass came up empty
vcd: failed to get the TOC
vcd: no movie tracks found
access_file: file /dev/rdisk1 is empty, aborting
cdda: search for kIOCDMediaClass came up empty
cdda: failed to get the TOC
cdda: no audio tracks found
main: no suitable access module for `dvdnav:///dev/rdisk1'


And if pointing directly to the .VOB file:
Quote:
access_file: read failed (Permission denied)

It does display the first frame, tough (FBI Warning).


Now, I have a big mixed colletion of Region 1 and Region 4 discs, and a few Region 2.


What can I do so that half of my DVD collection isn't rendered recycling material - besides getting rid of this MacBook and getting me a non-apple notebook that will allow me to circumvent this stupid region locking bs?

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!

Nutz

Leopard 10.5.4
XP Pro SP3 on Parallels
No Bootcamp


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:02 pm
Posts: 10125
Location: UK
sorry, there is no update on this

_________________
Read The FAQImageFirmware Request RulesImage
MCSE Thread Utilities


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:39 am
Posts: 23720
Location: .de #...still playing LLAMATRON 2112!
nutz wrote:
HI.
Any RPC news on (HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N)'s BP10 revision yet?

I didn't set any region on my new MacBook's yet.

VLC doesn't seem like a viable option to circumvent the region lock:
Quote:
vcd: search for kIOCDMediaClass came up empty
vcd: failed to get the TOC
vcd: no movie tracks found
access_file: file /dev/rdisk1 is empty, aborting
cdda: search for kIOCDMediaClass came up empty
cdda: failed to get the TOC
cdda: no audio tracks found
main: no suitable access module for `dvdnav:///dev/rdisk1'





And why not??

_________________
.:The rpc1.org FAQ:. Please read & follow our firmware request rules precisely! .:The DiscInfo tool:.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:09 am 
Junior Member

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am
Posts: 25
No one seems to have published a crack for this DVD-R yet.

Can anyone recommend a replacement DVD-R? Are they easy to install on a Macbook? (The VLC trick simply doesn't work with this computer.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:39 am
Posts: 23720
Location: .de #...still playing LLAMATRON 2112!
BaffledMacUser wrote:
No one seems to have published a crack for this DVD-R yet.

Can anyone recommend a replacement DVD-R? Are they easy to install on a Macbook? (The VLC trick simply doesn't work with this computer.)


Please don't use such words here, we prefer "patched" instead!

[ teaching mode on ]
DVD-R is a type of media. Surely you meant DVD drive...
[ /teaching mode off ]

:wink:

_________________
.:The rpc1.org FAQ:. Please read & follow our firmware request rules precisely! .:The DiscInfo tool:.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

Top
 Profile  
 
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:24 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am
Posts: 25
OK, has anyone published a patch, then, which will enable me to watch DVDs from around the world as I could on *any standard DVD player* with a TV?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Style based on FI Subice by phpBBservice.nl