The Firmware Page

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:24 am

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:03 pm 
Master Poster

ADVANCED USERS ONLY PLEASE!!!!!!

Lets assume that you carry a portable device around on which is contained valuable data.

Well, there are of course several options to protect your data, but the neatest I've so far seen is:

TrueCrypt :)

It's not for everyone, but, if you can get your head around it, TrueCrypt provides a VERY secure safeguard in case of 'hardware-loss'...how??

Well, it deeply encrypts your data which only a (lengthy if possible) password can unravel.

For instance, being a committed Geek :) , I keep a lot of valuable stuff on a USB Watch!! (Yes, I know it's sad :) ).

Using TrueCrypt (oh, I forgot to mention that it's FREEWARE), you can protect your data.

See here:

http://www.truecrypt.org

Edit:

AND, I should have stressed that, be VERY careful what you do...using this powerful Software could result in formatting over ALL your files on a given Drive!!!

I say again, if you get your head around it, this stuff is magic, BUT, take care!!

tjs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, this software is very useful. :)

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:46 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
For instance, being a committed Geek , I keep a lot of valuable stuff on a USB Watch!! (Yes, I know it's sad ).

lol, you do take it off don't you before pluggin in the pc :D , just get this picture of you hanging over the back of the pc with one arm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:10 pm 
Master Poster

PumaUK wrote:
Quote:
For instance, being a committed Geek , I keep a lot of valuable stuff on a USB Watch!! (Yes, I know it's sad ).

lol, you do take it off don't you before pluggin in the pc :D , just get this picture of you hanging over the back of the pc with one arm

Hi P,

Nop, only take the watch off when having a bath/shower (or 'other' things) :)...

Only kidding :)

Seriously, TrueCrypt might be a 'life saver' if ever any of your hardware (portable or otherwise) gets into the wrong hands.

I don't want to over-emphasise the problem, but it IS a potential problem.

Now, if I can just release my right arm.... :)

Take care.

Terry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:02 am 

I've just heard about this program recently. Though it seems to be helpful protecting your data from averge people, but I doubt that it protects against what the FBI, CIA, NSA has...if they are after you, that is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I don't believe that Paranoia makes a life healthy. ;)

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring DVD-R (A) & HD-DVD media, any size, any brand. Please pm me if you can help. \:D/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:21 am 

[_chef_] wrote:

...While that is true, but you can't ever be sure...but I am convinced that they can crack whatever you've got on your computer, even if you use this.

I believe that the only way is just to erase everything for good if you got into trouble with them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:24 pm 
Master Poster

DarkJ5 wrote:
[_chef_] wrote:

...While that is true, but you can't ever be sure...but I am convinced that they can crack whatever you've got on your computer, even if you use this.

I believe that the only way is just to erase everything for good if you got into trouble with them.

Hi DarkJ5,

You are of course perfectly correct in saying that no system is full-proof - as a rule of thumb, what man can make, man can break but we are talking time scales here.

Using 'brute-force' to crack a well implemented password could take even a Cray 'centuries' to crack!!

I'm not saying that is the case with TrueCrypt but some of the best in the security business rate this stuff very highly and it certainly affords protection levels above the 'norm'.

Like you say though, in effect, the best protection is to place your drive(s) into a furnace and torch them :)

tjs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:33 pm 

tjs wrote:
...but some of the best in the security business rate this stuff very highly and it certainly affords protection levels above the 'norm'.
tjs.

Who said that? Give me sources.

tjs wrote:
Like you say though, in effect, the best protection is to place your drive(s) into a furnace and torch them :)tjs.

I think that's a bit too much trouble, and what if you don't have a furnace? I rather just use Hard Drive Killer Pro and permanently destory everything.

I doubt I'll ever use that because I don't do illegal activities but it could be fun for geting revenge back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:46 pm 
Master Poster

DarkJ5 wrote:
tjs wrote:
...but some of the best in the security business rate this stuff very highly and it certainly affords protection levels above the 'norm'.
tjs.

Who said that? Give me sources.

tjs wrote:
Like you say though, in effect, the best protection is to place your drive(s) into a furnace and torch them :)tjs.

I think that's a bit too much trouble, and what if you don't have a furnace? I rather just use Hard Drive Killer Pro and permanently destory everything.

I doubt I'll ever use that because I don't do illegal activities but it could be fun for geting revenge back.

Try to listen to the various Podcasts at www.grc.com

You should then be a belieiver...

If not, then then is nothing more to say..

tjs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:23 am 

Ok then thanks.